28 - Surprises

Harry's POV:

I've come to learn that my favorite thing about Charlotte is something that I can't define. Just when I think that there's something that I like the best, she laughs a little harder than she intended, or she has a passionate debate with me over which tv show is the best - according to her, it's New Girl. Or she shows me a song that was meant to put all of her worst traits on display, but it only had the opposite effect.

I wasn't sure if she knew it, but her grip on me was only tightening as time went on, and it honestly scared me a bit. Of course I had a crush on her when we were just friends, so it's no surprise that I have feelings for her, but I had no idea I'd be this attached.

A large part of me was okay with it. Even though I'd never felt this way about anyone before, it was a good feeling. Being with her just felt right. But I'd be lying if I said part of me wasn't a little bit terrified.

And I wasn't scared that she'd mess anything up, because there's no way she could. I was scared that I'd do something wrong and lose her. Like when I sang Golden for her, part of me knew it'd be too much for her, but I was selfish and impatient and I did it anyway. I'm was just praying that I wouldn't do something so stupid again.

Although it's impossible to pick a favorite thing about Charlotte, I have figured out that I absolutely love to visit her at work, especially when she's not expecting me. Watching her give tours is the second best thing to watching her sing. She's so passionate about both, and I also like how flustered she gets when I show up unannounced.

Today I'd surprised her again at work, but she wasn't expecting me in the slightest. I'd tried my hardest to be inconspicuous and filed in with a large tour group, hoping she wouldn't notice me until I wanted her to.

"So on the topic of mating rituals, does anyone know what makes seahorses so unique in that aspect?"

I never really understood how no matter what she was talking about, she always had a way of making it interesting. Her voice was always so captivating, she could talk about the most boring thing and have me hanging on every word.

"The males get pregnant instead of the females?" A woman in the group answered hesitantly.

It made me feel a little better knowing that all of these people around me were just as captivated by her as I was, although it did make me a little jealous.

I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that prides myself in the fact that I'm so important to her. that nobody else could compare to me. But it comforts me knowing that it goes both ways.

"Well, not only that, but the mating ritual itself is also very different from other sea creatures. In order to mate, seahorses dance with each other while holding tails and swimming so close together that their snouts almost touch. And they also change colors while doing so!"

The group was hanging on her words just as I was, except they didn't know what was about to come out of her mouth next.

"I can see that a lot of you are probably thinking that it's a sweet sentiment, but do you know how long they partake in this ritual? Any guesses?" Charlotte continued. Now was my time to shine.

"At least eight hours?" I chimed in, analyzing every detail on her face when she comprehended that I was the one who'd answered her.

"That's correct. Seahorses mate for at least eight hours until the male is impregnated, which is a very long time in comparison to other species," Her voice faltered just barely before she continued on as if I weren't there. To other people, it probably seemed like I was just a random person, but I noticed how she started wiping her hands across her jeans every few minutes.