9 - Just Friends

"So, how's it been going?" Isabel asked as she took a bite of her burger.

After dinner the other night, she wouldn't stop pestering me, trying to make sure I was okay, which is why she insisted I come out to eat lunch with her. I knew she was just trying to be a good friend, and I really appreciated it, but she was making it really hard to keep a secret.

I had made a promise to myself that I wouldn't tell Isabel about my feelings for Harry. If I didn't say it out loud, it wouldn't be real. It would dissipate and I would get over this stupid little crush. We'd continue being friends and everything would be alright.

"Good, I'm excited to hear the band play tonight. You're coming, right?" I asked, picking at the fries on my plate. Isabel nodded in response and we both sat in a bit of awkward silence for a moment. It was a dumb question to ask, but I didn't know what else to say.

"Okay, it's killing me. I genuinely can't hold it in any longer. What's up with you and Harry?" She asked, sounding like she was about to burst. I should have known this was coming, Isabel can always tell when a romance is brewing. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What kind of question is that? We're just friends," I responded, praying she'd just drop it, although I should have known she wouldn't.

"Just friends my ass. Come on, spill!" She insisted.

"Why do you think something's going on? Can't two people of the opposite gender have a simple, platonic relationship?" I asked, trying to rationalize the situation.

"They can, but people who think of each other platonically don't look at each other the way you two do," she said as I scoffed. She was being ridiculous. "They definitely don't spend every second of the day with each other. Speaking of which, I'm surprised you didn't already have plans with him today," she continued.

"He had band rehearsal, not that it matters," I mumbled. I debated on actually telling her about how I felt about him, but couldn't imagine myself saying the words out loud.

"Well, he definitely likes you. The question is, do you like him too?" She asked and I was shocked to hear her ask so directly. How did she even know that he liked me? I didn't really get that impression, it just seemed like he liked hanging out with me a lot. That's what friends do, right?

"He doesn't like me," I responded, trying to steer the conversation away from me so I wouldn't accidentally say something I'd regret.

"Bullshit. I know things that you don't. I know you're not going to believe me, because you don't want to admit yourself that it's true. But when the little puppy comes clean about how he feels, I'll be sure to tell you I told you so," she laughed as I rolled my eyes.

I wondered how she even knew that he liked me. Did he say something to Adam or did he talk to Isabel herself? She would definitely tell me if he had gone straight to her. Or would she?

Isabel knew what she was doing, making me wonder all of these questions and giving me no answers. The entire afternoon, even while I was painting, I couldn't get it off of my mind. It ate at me so violently and I wanted to know how she knew. Chances were that she was just bullshitting me so I would tell her how I felt about Harry, but what if she was being honest?

I wasn't sure which option was worse, but I did know that it was killing me keeping my feelings to myself. Which is exactly why I picked up my phone and dialed Isabel's number?

"Hello?" She answered right away.

"What do you know?" I asked, getting straight to the point.

"About Harry? I knew you'd be back," she laughed, and I was getting impatient. I'd waited this long to ask her at all and now she wanted to rub it in my face.