6 - Joyride

It'd been a few days since I'd been able to hang out with Isabel or Harry, and I hated to admit it, but I'd actually missed them. I didn't like to be codependent on people, I preferred to stick to myself.

The only reason I was even friends with Isabel was because she forced me. She'd always find her way back to me when she worked at the aquarium with me, even when she was she was supposed to be doing other things. Maybe that's why she doesn't work at the aquarium anymore.

Either way, Isabel is the only reason we're even friends. Had she not made an effort to talk to me and force me to go hang out with her and Adam, I wouldn't have any friends right now.

Although I preferred keeping to myself, something had changed recently. I wasn't sure if it was what Harry said about not caring, and how he knows that he is in control of his relationships even when he's dependent on other people, or if it was just how he made me feel, but something had definitely changed.

We'd been texting ever since we'd hung out on Sunday and I actually enjoyed it. I didn't feel like I was answering him because I was obligated to, or just to be nice. I was actually relieved when he texted me because I was worried that I might actually text him first. He texted me a song, which I immediately listened to, loving every second of it.

[song: Manta Rays - Chloe Moriondo]

We had a lot of common interests, mainly music, but even what we didn't have in common, we could appreciate. He didn't know the first thing about painting, but he always asked me if I'd painted that day and how it was going. I listened to music a lot, however I wasn't that knowledgeable in the technical side of it, yet I always asked about how things were going with the band and his music.

Last night, he called me, which caught me off guard because I was literally stepping out of the shower when he did. I answered anyway, finding myself missing the way he talked. We'd talked about what bands we listened to, and I realized he had the best taste in music. I took a lot of pride in the music I listened to, but really think I like his music better.

He called me again tonight and luckily this time I wasn't getting dressed while he talked, unlike the night before. Last night he had given me a bunch of music recommendations and tonight he insisted I return the favor.

"How could I possibly follow that up? You really should have asked me first, because I'm scared to show you something that you won't like," I admitted. It was a lot of pressure to follow him up like that.

"I promise, whatever you show me, I'll like. You think things through, it's really admirable. I know that whatever you show me will be something special to you, and I know you'll have put a lot of thought into it. There's no way I won't like it," he reassured me. His voice was raspy, but calming at the same time.

I was starting to worry that he'd developed a bit of a crush on me, but I decided there was no way. First of all, I was me, and that alone was enough to send anyone running. I'd been more open with him than most people, and I'd been myself around him, so I knew there was no way it was anything more than platonic.

Plus, when I'd embarrassed myself by going on a rant about how I just can't do a relationship, he'd said he also didn't have time or energy for one either. I wish I could forget that conversation even happened, I'd made an ass out of myself and I never stopped thinking about it.

"Okay give me a few minutes, I have to find something good," I finally answered, hearing him chuckle shortly after. I scrolled through my phone, searching for the perfect song. He'd always showed me fun songs that made me want to dance or run through a field and all of my songs were sad and mainly reminded me of my ex-boyfriend.