Chapter Thirteen: One Battle Does Not Decide the War

“But that is exactly why I need to let you go...” I felt the tears rushing back up but I was determinded to finish this conversation strong.

“If anything else happened, more serious, to the point where you’re in the hospital, I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. I feel selfish having you stand by me and knowing that’s one of the main reasons that Brent’s basically out to ruin me. Zayn I just can’t risk it. I’m sorry..” The more I went on the more I didn’t like what was coming out of my mouth.

“Babe you gotta understand that, maybe there’s a reason I’m still here..you’re worth fighting for! I’ll be damned if I let Brent lay another finger on you, cause I can promise you It’ll be the last thing he touches.” Zayn leaned over to me, caressing my hands, gazing into my eyes.

He was doing all the right things that made me what to stay with him. But I just couldn’t. I was done with him trying to convince me. The past few weeks with Zayn have been the best but until I can control this crazy situation, all I can think is to let him go.

“Zayn I’m sorry, this is the last thing I wanted but until I can handle all this, I think it’s best that you go now.” I slowly said as a tear rolled down my cheek.

He wiped the waterworks from my face, lifted my chin with his finger and softly said

“Ash you’re not alone in this, with me or without, I’m going to protect you. See you soon babe” He gave me one last love struck look and then kissed me so hard I had nearly forgotten the past few minutes.

I didn’t really want him to go but all good things must end right? Soon enough he broke our last kiss and walked out the door without a word of goodbye.

The second the door shut, I broke down and called Lauren, explaining what I had done and she agreed it was the right thing to do and was already on her way home, just dropping off Niall.

“Ash! Where are you?!” Lauren called walking in the front.

“I’m here..” I sniffled, still sitting at the kitchen table. I sat with both feet up on the chair resting my chin on my knees just thinking and starring at the table. It’s been nearly an 2 hours and I already had 10 missed calls from Zayn. I couldn’t decide who was taking it harder.. me or him. His voicemails I didn’t even dare to listen because just one sound of his warming voice would break me and I’d give in to calling him back. But I made a promise to myself.

“Laur can I tell you something? I think it’s crazy but I just can’t seem to shake the feeling…” I looked at Lauren who was sitting right across from me.

“Yeah love anything?” She sat up with a sweet smile on her face ready to listen.

“Okay, I know it’s only been a few weeks with Zayn and all but honestly after what he did for me, going through last night, I think…that…I might be falling in love…” I bit my lip and gave Lauren the “Am-I-crazy” facial expression.

“I would say you are but, for some reason I find it totally normal Ash, and I’m not doubting that he’s beginning the feel the same! I mean the chemistry you two have, I’ve never seen without anyone else, seriously there’s a reason you met this kid.” A huge smile appeared on her face as she finished.

“Ah Lauren this isn’t helping!” I started getting all giddy but knew it had to be put on hold.

We spent the rest of the day watching movies and calling Niall and Harry every hour just to make sure they were near just incase we needed them.

----------1 Week Later-----------

I’m on my official 7th day without talking or seeing Zayn and honestly if I go one more day with even just a glimpse of him, I’m about to hit crazy town.

I was spending the day at Niall and Harry’s, Lauren was at class so it was just me and the boys, both knowing how much I needed a major distraction. So we pulled out the old bored games, a few good movies and a few bags of comfort food.

*Vibrate* *Vibrate* *Vibrate*

“Ash you’re gunna have to answer him eventually, you’re killin him” Niall finally said after my phones 20th vibration

“Have you talked to him at all?” Harry questioned curiously

“No..guys it’s a lot more complicated then you think.” I began to sound unsure myself even saything that.

“Well clearly not because you are the only thing he’s been worrying about. He’s going nuts just wondering if you’re okay Ash. You gotta give him at least that much.” Niall handed me my phone.

“Not to mention he’s not just gunna let this go, whether you approve or not, he’s going after Brent. I don’t what you did but you really got him to fall and I mean really fall little one” Harry spoke with a kiddish smile.

“Whoa whoa hold up, what do you mean, whether I approve or not?” I eagerly asked

“Well maybe if you answered him you’d kn-” Niall was interrupted by his phone ringing

“It’s Zayn hold on..” Niall whispered as he picked up the phone and went in the other ring.

Harry and I continued eating away the day and talking about little things to keep the convo going until I saw Niall come back in with a worried face, frantically looking around his keys.

“Niall what’s going on?” I began to feel nerves in the pit of my stomach.

Niall looked at me, pausing for a minute, trying to think of how to come out with it,

“If I tell you, you gotta promise you won’t flip or follow me okay?”

“I’m not promising you anything, now what is it? It clearly involves Zayn...” I demanded the news out of him

“Okay.. Zayn and his roommates found out where Brent is staying and he’s going after him…”

My mouth dropped, after all that recently happened, Zayn was now the one looking for the next fight… I felt my heart beating faster and faster, because I knew this was going to be the battle to end it all and it wasn’t going to be a clean one..