Chapter Twenty Three: That was Too Close

“ASHLEY!” Zayn screamed in sheer panic.

Before I could even yell out for help, I was already pulled in, loosing feeling fast. I couldn’t see underwater, only embracing more of the darkness beneath the ice.

“Someone, please help!” Zayn frantically looking around for anyone.

Then suddenly his sight caught on to the father with the two kids there, packing up their car, nearly minutes from leaving.

“Sir! Please I need your help, my girlfriend has fallen through the ice and I can’t swim” He took giant steps off the ice and ran to the parking lot.

“Oh no, okay kids stay here!” The man closed the car door and ran over to the ice.

Finally after hitting the surface of ice multiple times, I found the place where I fell, gasping for any air I could.

“Z-Z-Zayn!” I tried to yell, peaking through my eyes I saw him coming with a man with a rope.

Attempting to grip the ground around me was pointless because my fingers kept slipping, being in the water for now 10 minutes, I lost all feeling I had to stay a float…I blacked out and began to sink.

“Gotcha!” The man yelled, grabbing my hand before I sunk down any further.

“Now pull us back!” He commanded to Zayn who was on land with the other end of the rope.

“From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much sir. You just saved the most important thing to me” Zayn helped carry me to a bench, then shaking the man’s hand.

“Not a problem, here take this blanket, it’s my daughter’s and she’s out grown it, hope the lady’s alright!” He said getting a warm blanket from his car then driving off with this kids waving through the back window.

Zayn took off his jacket and put over the baby pink blanket. He rubbed my back and my arms, holding me close, trying to get me as warm as possible.

“T-T-Thank y-y-you s-s-so...” I softly stuttered

“Shh, its okay, you’re safe now” He kissed my forehead, holding me tight.

After a bit I regained some feeling back and Zayn put my arm around his shoulders to lean on as we walked back to the car. On the way back I stumbled over a big a piece of wood with red bold writing on it.

“Whoa you alright?” Zayn caught my fall

“Yeah just tripped over something..” I scrapped the snow off with my foot to see what it said.

*Thin Ice. Skate at own risk*

“I can’t believe someone would move this, people these days...” Zayn stuck the sign back in the ground so that no one else would have a chance of falling in.

He carried me the rest of the way and wrapped another blanket around me from our car since the first one was soaked. Next he blasted the heat and the defroster.

“I’m gunna run to Dunkin to get us some hot chocolate, do you want anything else?” Zayn offered

“No love, I’m okay, thank you” I softly said still shivering.

“Okay I’ll be back in a little, and keep the doors shut so you get warm faster” He kissed my ice cold lips and was off.

Seeing the line in Dunkin I could already tell it was going to be a long wait. So I switched on the radio, flipping through different stations until I found one I liked. Right when I found 92.3 a dark shadow covered my passenger window.