Chapter Twenty Nine: Scars Speak Louder Than The Stories Behind Them

My heart was beating a 1000 times a second and soon enough Zayn broke the silence and said

“Hi Ash” He had his hands in his pockets, biting his bottom lip and rocking on his heels.

I didn’t answer and just kept looking at him. What could I say? How could I possibly think of the right words to even say? After all this time I wanted to just feel his arms around me and tell me that we were going to get passed this, but I knew I couldn’t do that.

“It’s really good to see you, do you think I could come in?” He gave me a weak smile and I have never seen such loss in his eyes.

But the second he spoke again, it broke all my thoughts and I snapped back into reality and gulped.

“You can’t…” I closed my eyes and took a deep breath

“Babe please...I’m going out of my mind I-”

“Don’t! Don’t call me that...I’m not your babe anymore. And please, no one could be feeling worse than I am right now.” I said firmly and then slammed the door shut in his face, before my tears fell from my eyes and rolled down my cheeks.

I leaned my back against the door and slowly slid down, sitting against it, still feeling Zayn’s presence. He hadn’t moved and at this point neither could I. It hurt too much to see him.

“Oh no” Lauren gasped running to me and helping me up.

“What happened love?”

“That was him…Lauren I can’t do this I’m sorry” I bent my knees and rested my forehead on them, looking at the floor.

“Alright, we can just order in and have a comfy night, no worries ok?” She picked me up and gave me a big hug.

But I couldn’t help but check if Zayn was still there, and when I peeked through the pep hole…he was gone. My heart only sank more.

----Few Hours Later----

It was just around 2:30pm and Niall had just gotten back from dropping Harry off at work. Lauren had to run to her Aunts for a bit, leaving me and Niall alone. I got kinda nervous because Niall doesn’t take any of my BS and knows when I’m not being 100 percent myself. He even knows all my “tells” when I try and lie. Moping around with him to watch me wasn’t gunna be easy.

“See you soon my loves!” Lauren blew me a kiss as Niall walked her out and I stayed on the couch flipping channels.

*Vroom Vroom*

I heard Laurens car take off and saw Niall slowly coming back and decided to have a little fun. So I ran to the door and locked it, just as he saw what I was doing, he was too late and officially stuck outside.

“Very funny Ashley, now let me in!” Niall yelled from the opposite side of the door.

“Nah I think I’ll just let you sweat it out” I joked and continued back to the couch.

I let him sweat it out for another 20minutes, any attempt he made to try and get back inside I would beat him too. Cracked open windows, the back door, closed and locked.

“You havin fun yet Niall?” I asked leaned my ear against the front door.

“Yeah, but it’s a lot warmer inside” Niall surprised me by coming in through the back with Harry.

“But what..how?” I jumped and looked confused

“My spare key silly” Harry laughing at my defeated face.

“Hey well it worked for a few minutes!” I joked walking back to the couch and cuddling myself back under my blanket.

They both made their way over to the couch across from me and began to stare at me once again.