Chapter Seventeen: Recovery Begins

He looked around, not sure where he was but quickly realized, and then planted his eyes on me, making the effort to show a weak smile.

“Hi Ash” Zayn said weakly.

A tear streamed down my face, as I replied “Hi love” with a huge smile on my face.

“Ow Ow” Zayn painfully whispered as he tried to sit up.

“No, stay right where you are, just rest..you had a crazy…” My tears were overcoming my words, forcing my to break in-between my words.

“Aw babe, please don’t cry” Zayn said with a near to no voice

I just knelt down to the side of the bed and crossed my arms with putting my face over it. I was just so overwhelmed that he was actually speaking to me and was going to make it. Never had I felt more relieved in my life.

Moments like this brought me back to when I had the cops come to my door when I was 16 telling me my parents had died in an awful car accident. I think that’s why I took everything to heart so easily. I feel so passionately and it’s such a weakness of mine.

I felt his hand rubbing my back in comfort, catching my breathe I stood up and kissed him softly, missing his lips so much that it felt just like the first time on my doorstep.

“I’m sorry I p-”

“Don’t you dare apologize, I’m the one that has too, I feel absolutely gutted that I put you through all this and I would do anything to take it back so that you wouldn’t be in all this pain.” I interrupted him, starring deeply into his eyes

“I don’t care I would do it all over again if I had too. Ash…you’re it. You’re the only one I want and I’d go to hell and back to have you..forever.” He smiled running his hand through my hair.

Leaning my head against his, I just took a deep breath closing my eyes and opening them to his beautiful hypnotizing hazel eyes and enjoyed the moment. Realizing that all I was ever going to need, was looking right back at me.

“I love you Ash,” He spoke in a hushed tone still and rubbed his nose against mine.

I let out a little laugh and went to get the nurse to tell her he was finally awake.

It was only 7am so I helped the nurse get him to sit up and try to make him as comfortable as I could. Feeding him his breakfast and just talking about random things to get his mind off the setting that he was in. Along with calling everyone to announce that Zayn was alright.

“Can I tell you something?” Zayn asked

“Sure anything?” I put down his tray and pulled up a chair next to his bed.

“Earlier when I first woke up I panicked when I looked around and saw all these wires attached to me. But the one thing that kept me from freaking out was the sight of you. You were the first thing I set my eyes on and you had never looked more beautiful.” He said biting his lip and his cheeks getting pink, intertwining his finger in with mine.

“I’ll be here always Zayn; I intend to make sure this never happens again.” I leaned in and kissed him once more but after those sweet words, it seems much passionate and sent butterflies straight to my stomach.

“Can I tell you something now?”

He nodded and smiled motioning to come lie next to him. So I came and snuggled next to him in the small bed, leaning my head on his chest, closing my eyes as I listened to his heart beating so soundly.

“Because of you, Brent is officially gone…and I honestly thought that wouldn’t even be possible to say. Because of you, I’m safe for the first time in 3 years, and I can’t tell you how grateful I am for all that you put up with for the sake of me. I’m the luckiest girl to have such an amazing guy willing to do that for me.”

“Forever and Always from this point on okay? Whatever it is, we’re facing it together babe.” Zayn leaned kissed my forehead and leaned back, both of us falling fast asleep.

----The Next Day-----

“Shh! You don’t want to wake them, awe their so precious!” I heard Lauren whisper.

I peaked open my eyes and saw it was her and Niall. I didn’t really want to get up because I was enjoying being in Zayn’s arms.

“Hi guys” I whispered rubbing my eyes adjusting to the light from the sun shining in.

“We can come back later if you want? I know you need some rest Ash.” Lauren nicely suggested with Niall nodding in agreement.

“No, it’s fine, go see him it’ll make his day when he wakes up. Thanks for giving us yesterday to ourselves. I really need it, I’m just gunna run to the bathroom real quick.”

I hurried back fast and saw that Zayn had awakened, happy to see some friends. Niall was cracking jokes and filling the atmosphere with laughter.

I just stood there in the doorway, leaning against the wall, and admiring the fact that after so much drama and horrific turns of events. The ones I loved were finally at ease and back to our young lives, ready for the fun ahead.

“Hey guys great news! Zayn gets to come home with us tomorrow night!” I said with a huge girlish grin.

“Ah that’s awesome!” Lauren exclaimed

“Liam and Louis will be here to get you, they send their apologies for not coming now, they had to work.” Niall explained.

Zayn nodded, understanding and made room for me to come back and sit with him. It was so nice to see him happy again with nothing but recovery to focus on. And I would be there every step of the way, helping him. The rest of the day we played the board games and watched the movies Niall brought and enjoyed the return of Zayn’s company.

I looked at Zayn and kissed him gently and slowly, making him feel every bit the happiness I had in my heart that he was back.