Chapter Sixteen: Suspense Kills

“Are we almost there?!” I kept repeating to Niall who was driving as fast as he could.

“Yeah 30 seconds” Niall replied as he pulled into the hospital parking lot.

“Hurry!” I handed Zayn to Louis and Liam, as I ran to the front desk to explain.

Immediately he was put on a stretcher and rushed through the emergency room doors. A swarm of doctors followed, pushing me away, forcing me to stay in the waiting room.

Next I was asked by a few nurses if I was at all injured since my entire shirt and part of my pants were covered in blood from holding Zayn for so long. I just shook my head and walked away. I couldn’t even speak.

Louis and Liam sat down with me, while Niall and Harry went to pick up Lauren. I just sat there, biting my nails, rocking back and forth, staring at the floor. Mindless to everything else but the thought of Zayn being alright.

After around 45mins doctor came through the doors and I instantly jumped in the air, praying for good news as my heart.

“Are you here for a….Zayn Malik?” The doctor looked down at his clip board

“Yes! How is he? Is he okay?!” I frantically asked with dried tears on my face

“Well he lost tremendous amount of blood, suffered a broken hand and rib, and some head trauma. He’s in surgery now and should be out within a few hours..” He said with an unsure look on his face.

“But he’s going to be okay right? …Please say he’s going to be okay?” I looked him straight in the eyes, gripping his shoulders.

“He has a major recovery ahead of him, but its hard to tell since we just got him in, I will let you know everything as soon as I can, I’m sorry but you’re just gunna have to wait it out.” He sympathetically stated and walked back to his work.

I watched him walk all the way back, even pasted the doors, just staring through the windows in shock. I couldn’t believe it had gotten this bad. I collapsed to the ground, on my knees and began to cry.

Covering my face with the palm of my hands and shaking my head I sobbed. Liam came to comfort me and Louis went to get me some water.

“It’s going to be okay, Zayn’s strong he’s going to make it through!” Liam said in a comforting voice.

“This is all my fault. I should be the one in surgery, not him. My life should be the one in jeopardy not his.” My voice started to fade from crying to hard.

“Yeah the love that you two have is what’s gunna keep him going, trust me, I’ve known Zayn for years and never have I seen him so happy with anyone, there’s a reason he had strength to continue through everything tonight!” He rubbed my back, helping me up from the ground and on to a chair.

“…Thank you Liam” I wiped my eyes and gave a weak smile, his words of encouragement honestly did lift my spirit the tiniest bit.

Soon enough, Louis was back and they were both trying to make small talk to have time pass by faster. This was the first time I was actually meeting Liam and getting to know Louis for more then two seconds.

They were both such nice people and the way they talked about their girlfriends; I knew that I was in love, because they felt the same feelings I did. And I couldn’t wait to meet the lovely girls in their life.

Three hours had past and Lauren, Harry, and Niall finally arrived back. Updating them with the little information that I knew, they both stayed up with me. Liam and Louis had fallen asleep on the couch across from us.

Nearly 3am, I was exhausted but refused to sleep until I heard more about Zayn’s condition.

*Swushh*

The doors of the ER opened and a different woman doctor came in the tell us the fate of it all.

“Hello, Malik’s friends yes?” She asked kindly

“Yes, is he alright?” I eagerly stated.

“He just came out of surgery a few minutes ago and we have him hooked up to our computers to moderate him for the next few days. He’s still in a deep sleep, but so far so good. As long as he wakes up within the next 24hours…”

My heart stopped as I asked the next question, unsure if I was even ready for the answer.

“Due to his severe head trauma, if he doesn’t we’re going to pronounce him in a state of Acoma.”

“Oh my God...” My mouth dropped as I began to hyperventilate

“His room is ready, you can see him now though.” She said feeling sorry that she was the barrier of bad news.

I quickly followed and entering the room, my heart just sank. My poor babe was hooked up to so many different machines but finally at ease, away from all the could hurt him.

“I’m sorry but under his condition, we’re only allowing one person in the room at a time. Visiting hours start at 10am tomorrow morning.” Said the nurse.

“Ash I think it’s obvious that you’re the one who has to be with him now. It’s really late anyway so first thing tomorrow morning we’ll be back here to visit okay?” Lauren sweetly said speaking for everyone

“Call us if you need anything okay?” Liam gave me a hug and kiss and so did Louis. Harry and Niall right after, and soon enough I walked in, shutting the door behind me, finally alone with Zayn.

I walked over to his bedside and knelt down. Softly picking up his hand and rubbing my thumb over it. Tears slowly fell from my eyes as I starred at his bruised up face.

Hours and hours past, with morning peaking out from beneath the trees and the sunlight shined in. I spent all night praying that he would wake up.

So I got up from the chair and ran my fingers through his scuffed up hair, and caressed his face and then finally, after the many agonizing hours of the unknown…

Zayn’s eyes slowly began to open.

“Oh my…oh my god…” I quietly gasped, throwing my hand over my mouth.

He looked around, not sure where he was but quickly realized, and then planted his eyes on me, making the effort to show a weak smile.

“Hi Ash” Zayn said weakly.

A tear streamed down my face, as I replied “Hi love” with a huge smile on my face.