28

EDITED

28

I have been laying on my bed, staring up at the ceiling all day today. There were no classes scheduled for today and the memorial hall was being prepared for Claire's memorial service.

All I have been thinking about is the fact that Jackson Garfield apologized to me.

I wonder if Matt knows.

I know you're probably thinking jeez chill out Jaycee, it's just an apology, but you guys know Jackson.

There have been so many times in our relationship that an apology was in rightful order, but he never uttered the five letter word to me in that time.

I wonder why.

The door opened and Dylynn came in with Matt following after her. Dylynn looked pissed. Matt looked annoyed.

Ooh yay, their first fight.

"What happened?" I asked sitting up while sighing. Dylynn merely shrugged turning away from both of us.

I rose an eyebrow at Matt as he sat down next to me. He waved his hand dismissively. "Jack told me he apologized to you."

"Yep..."

"That's a big deal, Jaycee."

"I kinda figured."

"He wouldn't have said it if he didn't mean it. I promise."

Cutting our conversation short, Matt stood up and went to sit next to Dyl now. He talked to her in a quiet and sweet tone, one Jackson used to speak to me in.

"I'm gonna get ready for the memorial." I informed them even though I was basically already ready.

I grabbed my black dress and went to the dorm bathrooms. The dress had three quarter lace sleeves; it fell just above my knees. Dylynn had lent me black earrings and flat strappy sandals to go with it.

My hair was in tight curls from last night because I had involuntarily let Dylynn curl it. She loves to curl hair; her mom told me she tried to curl her brother's hair when he was 8 one time. Apparently the kid has kept his haircut a buzz-cut style since then.

I walked out of the dorm area and over to the school, where Josh had also been walking inside of.

"Hey," I said, greeting Josh who had dark purple bags under his eyes and he looked absolutely sleep deprived.

"Hi," He replied, forcing a smile into his face.

"You look horrible."

"Thanks for sugar coating it." Josh deadpanned. "I spent the day at the hospital with Bobbi yesterday and I slept there."

"Aw, how did it go?" I asked, opening the door to the school and walking inside.

"Really good, honestly. She didn't even cry a lot."

"Why do you look so tired?"

"Because I couldn't sleep and the chairs in a hospital could be a little more comfortable."

"Thinking about today?" I asked, referring to his couldn't sleep statement.

"Yep." He confirmed.

We took a stroll through the hallway that had Claire's plaque on it. I stared at it long and hard for a few minutes.

This is real. Claire is gone. She is really gone.

Josh placed a supportive hand on my shoulder, giving it a squeeze. I grabbed it from the wall and we walked to the auditorium. They had asked us the other day to get the plaque before we came down to the auditorium.