30

EDITED

30

20 minutes.

I had 20 minutes before I needed to leave my dorm room. Forever. I wouldn't be back in the fall.

I looked around the room to make sure everything was back to normal, the way it was the day I came here.

8 months ago already, yet it seemed like it was only yesterday. I wish it was only yesterday because then Claire would've been standing next to me.

Taking a deep breath, holding only some of my bags, I knocked on the door to my soon to be dorm room. My dorm supervisor said my roommate would give me my key.

A petite dirty blonde girl opened the door with a cheerful smile. The smile she gave me in greeting assured me that living here wouldn't be too bad.

"Hi, I'm Clarissa Evans. Feel free to just call me Claire if you'd like."

"I'm Jaycee, I don't really have a nickname." I chuckled awkwardly. First encounters weren't my speciality.

"Jace... How about that?" Claire suggested. I grinned a little and nodded.

"Sounds cool." I agreed.

"There's your bed." Clarissa pointed to the plain and boring bed. "Don't worry, I'll help you personalize it. We're going to be the best of friends."

I tossed my stuff on my bed and then sat down on it.

"I hear you're a sophomore right?"

"Yes ma'am!" She grinned, happily. "It's cool you get to bunk with a sophomore."
I agreed. Because it was pretty cool - Claire seemed pretty cool.

There was a brief knock on the door before the door swung open, revealing a tall, blonde teenage guy.

"I swear to G - oh I didn't realize today was the day you're roommate was moving in. Sorry about interrupting." The guy said awkwardly.

"Jaycee, this is Josh. We've been friends for as long as I can remember. Josh, this is Jaycee. My new roommate and best friend."

I couldn't help but smile as she called me her best friend. We had only just met, yet she was already being so nice and welcoming.

"Oh, I feel bad for you Jaycee." He said in a low, playfully serious voice. Claire elbowed him roughly in the ribs and when he grabbed his side, I sniffled my giggle. "Run while you can." He said in a loud and clear tone this time for Claire to hear, even though she was right beside him.

That's the moment I realized I wouldn't mind living here.

When Dylynn patted my back softly, I knew it was time to go. I wasn't actually ready to leave yet, but I didn't have much of a choice. That is, unless, I wanted to constantly be reminded of of everything I have lost while I was here.

I would continue to talk the friends I have made here, considering I have none back home. Plus, the friends I have made this year have been such great friends; they make up for a lifetime of friends.

"You don't have to leave, you know." Dylynn muttered sadly.

"I think it's best." Came my quiet and short reply. "I'll come and visit." I reassured her. I hated seeing her so down in the dumps.

"Okay. But have you told Jackson?"

"I've only told you, Josh, and Chris, and it's going to stay that way. Just act like you have no clue as to where I went." I nearly pleaded. I didn't need anyone talking me out of going back to Colorado.