Prologue

Author's POV
The air is heavy with uncertainty as our beloved queen peers at the woman filing her nails. She is humming asking to herself. Renée can't take her eyes away from the hat on her head... fascinators is what they must call them in some lands but for Renée, if it's worn on the head it is a hat. She looks pristine in white. Her majesty would rather drop dead than to be caught in white. She can speak from experience that whenever she wears anything bright, Rehan finds a way to mess it up.

From spitting out food, bringing dirt to the house after a messy play date with the royal cat and even sticky hands, she knows never to wear anything classified as bright.

She hasn't had any time to play dress up. She was called back to military duty shortly after the prince was born. Given Saine Neane was far, she filed a transfer to Carperia where a new army base has been established. If she's not wearing military uniform, she's in pajamas. But on the other extreme end, the king has become a fashion icon to look up to. A newly found lifestyle blog has dedicated itself to discussing everything the monarchs have been spotted wearing.

Just recently, Queen Mother Takara was accused of carrying a handbag that is out of style. She took great offense and launched q while statement defending her decision to carry the Luis Vuitton bag. But of course, the owners of the blog used every single one of her words to hang her with the outrageously colorful scarf she wore the next day. With the fashion police paying their undecided attention to the monarchs, it is either they stay locked up in the safety of the palace or risk a thorough commentary about what they wear.

Queen Renée is glad they can't carry out q commentary on her military uniform.

"Excuse me? Will you say something? Your silence is unnerving me." She spoke her mind.

It's not Diana's first time in the palace. She is known as the queen maker for one single reason. She whooped the General's daughter into shape making her refined and regal. The beloved former Queen Mother knows how much she clashed with Diana Crose before her rough edges were polished. Diana Crose also worked with Queen Mother Takara but there was nothing to fix. If anything Diana felt challenged by the absence of things to correct. But as she looks at Queen Renée, she can easily pick a dozen things that need fixing and she hasn't even been poked hard enough to reveal her other nasty mannerisms that have no place in a monarch.

"If you were to be asked to describe the queen, what would you say?" She posed the question to her assistant who looks equally snobby. "Assuming you are any other Chea Nivan who has never met her in person."

Queen Renée paid attention to the young man. Her response was a shrug.

"Exactly!" Diana exclaimed.

"Exactly? He didn't even say anything!" Queen Renée protested.

"There's nothing to say." She spoke cutly. Queen Renée felt disturbed. She opened her mouth but nothing came. She folded her arms across her chest. "We can start right here. When did a queen sit with her legs spread? Not just a queen, a lady for that matter."

"My father wanted sons. There are no ladies in my family." She answered Diana without expression on her face.

"You need to understand something. Perception is everything. When I look at you I don't perceive a monarch. There's nothing regal about you. I don't see a queen. I see a girl who happened to marry a king. She was given a crown and has the title but lacks the qualities of a queen."

Queen Renée narrowed her eyes fairly.

"Who are you again?"

"My name is Diana Crose and I am the queen maker. I will make a queen out of you if it's the last thing I do."

Queen Renée scoffed. "Good luck with that. Queen Mother failed. What's makes you capable?"

Diana Crose rose from her seat and strolled gracefully towards Queen Renée. She bent just enough to make dangerous eye contact. "Because I made the General's daughter a queen. Nesrin's regal nature wasn't in born. It was taught and branded deep into her being. If I broke her, I'll break you." She stood up straight with her hands neatly folded in front of her. A small smile graced her face. "I can't wait to work with you Renée. I love a good challenge so bring it."

Queen Renée stared with a hanging jaw after Diana Crose made her exit.

"The queen maker? What the hell?" She wondered out loud.