Chapter Thirty One: Middle Ground

Stephen's POV
"How many times must we do this?" Nilsa complained.

"As many times as it will take yiu to convince me. Start over!"

"Can you at least uncuff me?"

"No." I smiled at her.

"This cuffing game would be more fun if we were alone." She whispered. "But... maybe if my brother is merciful enough I'll get conjugal visits, right?"

"From the start." I spoke slowly and firmly.

"Fine." She rolled her brown eyes. "When I got to Daa Haan, Adair had terms. He said he will give me refuge from Reli if I surrender the navy to him."

"Give me inventory."

"Nuclear subs, destroyers and a carrier."

"Wait, where did you get a carrier?"

"Most of my artillery was in international waters, not Chea Nivan waters. I wasn't that stupid to just give Reli something to destroy!"

"Give me the full inventory."

"4 nuclear subs, 6 destroyers and 1 carrier."

"How many jets are on board the carrier?"

"Let's see... 130."

I held my face with one hand looking at the former queen. She has been helpful but with Nilsa, she always has an ace up her sleeve. Reli tasked me with debriefing her. She said she is willing to out Adair on everything she knows. Together with the soldier who came back, a lot has been revealed.

"How did you secure these things?"

"Uh... I know people?"

"Where did you get the money?"

"The Kaelan Trust before I was shut out and oh! I know people." She smiled at me.

"Billions belonging to the House of Kaelan are in Adair's hands?"

"Now that I'm wanted and he wants to execute me, yes."

Adair has turned against Nilsa. He's calling her a fugitive and is busy lying to everyone that she tried to assassinate him like he did Reli. There's an order to shoot and kill her on sight.

"You do realize that he's heavily armed."

"With the latest in technology. Reli should really prepare himself because taking Daa Haan won't be easy."

"Where is he getting money?"

"That man doesn't always kiss and tell. I don't know."

"What was the plan when you came to Daa Haan, your plan."

"To regroup and attack Carperia."

"Do why didn't you?"

"I want to say I had a change of heart but that's not it. Adair and I couldn't agree on anything. I didn't want to give Reli time to regroup. My artillery was already on Daa Haan shores. I was ready to attack but Adair wanted to prepare an army for ground assault. That takes time. He decided to suggest diplomacy to drag on and waste time so that he prepares himself."

"Is his army formidable?"

"Yes. It's the Iron Army."

"You did not give him the best."

"No but it's the Iron Army." She tilted her head and narrowed her eyes. "It's formidable and he has mercenaries. So... yeah. It's bad. What is Reli's plan? I can help."

"We don't trust you."

"Fair enough. He's short of an Admiral. You can't expect Cormac to run the show alone. He's hard wired to rigidity. He's not a visionary."