Chapter Twenty Five: Republic of Adair Part 2

King Relian's POV
I stayed still reminding myself that I have faced far worse than soldiers looking for outsiders. We heard the heavy sound of boots approaching. A man stood outside the doors. I steadied my breathing, gun in hand. I have Stephen a nod to get ready. My gun doesn't have a silencer. I will only shoot if I absolutely have to.

When the soldier opened the door, we both pointed our guns.

He took one look at me, his gaze locking with mine. He closed the door immediately, his face as pale as death. "Clear!" He announced. "There's no one else in the house."

"Congratulations. Your IDs are legit and are part of the system. You are now verified citizens of Daa Haan." They left the apartment.

Stephen sighed audibly. He pressed his eyes shut. We looked at each other. We still can't believe that he closed the door and he said it's clear. I can't believe it.

When someone else opened the doors we both pointed our guns again. We lowered them when we saw it was just Bill. "It's clear." He whispered.

Stephen slipped out first to double check before I followed. Lance is back at work scanning the house for any spyware.

We kept quiet, waiting for the go ahead to speak.

"Clear. We are clear. They didn't leave anything." Lance informed us and went back to his computer.

"Why didn't he shoot?" John asked. "We were standing ready to fire at him and the other two."

"Maybe he saw the king and realized he does not want to be his majesty's executor." Bill answered. "If I was part of the enemy force, I wouldn't have agreed to kill the king. That's just crossing the line."

"That's why many in the Iron Army surrendered after General Cora was captured. Anyone who doesn't believe in your kingship is a fool without eyes SC. We believe in you. We will die for you." Lance gave me a small smile and kept working.

I sighed with a light chuckle. "Something tells me he will be back. Let's get ready for that." I informed them. "No scouting today. Sit tight and let's allow the day to play out."

Everyone got busy. I sat on the thin mattress that has served as my bed. I share it with Stephen. There's another shared by the rest. I closed my eyes in silent meditation. It's very quiet here. We don't talk as much unless when we are discussing something.

I forced my mind to focus and my heart to still.

*
Sometime late in the evening while were still working on individual assignments, Lance called me over. "SC! You hav to see this! It's Jack." He pointed at a red dot.

"He's moving this way."

"Yeah."

"Is there a way to confirm it's him?"

"He has stopped. Hood on. He's walking past the building." Lance noted.

"Where is he going? Bill, window. Look out for Lance." I instructed.

"He's coming back. He's right in front of the building." Lance informed Bill.

"No man, he's not. There's a group of women. No Jack."

"SC, you see this. The dot is right there!"

"Unless we are not looking for Jack but someone wearing his watch." I noted.

"He just got into the building. I'm counting down how many feet away. 30ft. 28ft. He has stopped." Stephen gave quiet signals. John and Bill armed themselves.

"SC, hide."

"No. I want to see who walks in through that door. I'll take care of myself. Do your job."