Chapter Three: The Queen Maker

Diana Crose's POV
I earned the title The Queen Maker from King Dargan himself. The irony of the story is that I was not the one who was supposed to show up that cold winter morning. It was the noble I worked for. She ran a finishing school that helped many none nobles married into nobility to be whipped to shape. She was fond of calling it turning ugly ducklings into swans.

When we got a phone call from the palace that King Dargan was in need of assistance with his new bride, my employer told me to go to Carperia and see what we are working with.  It didn't take long to see that Nesrin was a lot of work. She had boyish mannerisms that needed to be eradicated. She was rude, too blunt for anyone's taste and most importantly not feminine enough for the king. Those were King Dargan's words, not mine. He wanted her polished and refined.

Upon giving the full report to my employer she said she would make the trip. The King comes above every other client. He was bumped us to first place. Everyone else would follow after q queen was made. I was supposed to go back and continue her ongoing projects but on the morning she was to arrive, there was a terrible accident that claimed her life.

Despondent over what would befall the finishing school, I took it by the reins. I assured everyone who had enlisted our service that all be well. My first project was Nesrin and she was not easy. I was three years younger and she always called me a child. Many are the times things even got physical between us and she gave me a good beating. If not for King Dargan's swift intervention, she would have ended me. But with patience and consistency, I made a graceful regal queen out of her.

From my experience, some women are naturally graceful and can fit a regal role without much effort. Take Takara as a fine example. When Nesrin asked me to polish her up, I arrived in Carperia and did my usual analysis. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with her. Even her appearance alone is regal. I was honestly disappointed by the lack of challenge in her. She's q lot like her son. There's nothing to fix.

When I heard the king was marrying, I was among those Chea Nivans who had their eyes glued to the TV to see who he finally chose after putting us through endless soap operas. I wanted to see who he selected. All along, I knew I would get to work with Thalia. I have worked with Thalia before. She's the kind to easily suit a regal role. Those who are high born are always easier to mould than commoners. The daughters of Generals and other military officials are the worst. Thalia was great. She will be missed. When I saw Renée on TV, there wasn't much to conclude. She looked poised, graceful and she looked like a bride. Nesrin did a lot of work. I hoped with everything that when things calmed down and the Kaelans come back to Carperia, I'll be called to duty.

When the phone call came, I dropped everything to meet the illusive queen not known by her own kingdom. Two things instantly stood out to me. She's naturally beautiful. Check. That is great! She is tall, an advantage. Short people are fussy. Nesrin to be particular. Again, it is King Dargan who said so. He always asked her "how is the weather down there?" King Dargan was a whole 6'1" and lean like King Relian. Come to think of it there's a lot of resemblance.  Nesrin was only 5ft tall. I found those moments he would bend low just to kiss her to be adorable or how he would touch the tip of her nose and call her his little bunny. She hated it.

But back to Renée. There are a few of things I like about her but a lot has to change.

"Describe your mother in five words. Go." I told her.

I would like to know where she comes from. You can tell a lot about someone from their family.

"Aloof. Flaky. Passive. Easy going. Open."

That's not much to go on. I took notes nonetheless. "Describe your father in five words."

"Can I use ten?"