Chapter Twenty Three: Shifty Allies

Daa Haan
Nilsa's POV
I hate sudden changes.

I believe that there is success in prior planning. Prior planning for me started when I gained access to the War Council. I was patient and it all paid off when things fell in place.

Sudden changes started to occur when Reli survived the fall. When he woke up from the coma. When he got coronated. When he married. When my drones were jacked and vanished. When he showed up in Carperia with a formidable force. When I had to escape to Daa Haan. When Adair and Dela vegan to have secret meetings without me.

I hate sudden changes. The Stark difference between Reli and I Is that he adapts in situations. He adapts quickly. He's just wired like that. I am rigid. If I want something done in a certain way, I rarely deviate. I dint adapt. I crash and burn.

"You do know they will get rid of you, right?" Oscar, my right hand man asked me.

"I know."

"So are we just going to sit here and wait?" Marlina asked me.

"I'm thinking." I told both of them.

I have no idea what to do. I have lost my resolve to scheme. After I found out that the poison had affected Reli, I was troubled. I didn't want him to die. Am I growing a conscience? Why do I care about him? Other than the blood we share, why did I save him? Why?

"Then think with haste because if we need to take Daa Haan from them, the time is now." Oscar insisted.

What are Reli's plans? He went back to the palace and has been really quiet. Someone else is ruling the kingdom. She's an outsider. But I female monarch in this patriarchy is a breath of fresh air. I'm proud of Teli for letting her rule.

"We have been in here long enough." I closed the taps spewing out water.

Adair is a very paranoid man. He has cameras all over Daa Haan. He has something called a Bird Protocol where night Life Is forbidden. At 7pm,the streets are empty. It's only at 6am that anyone is allowed to step out of their houses.

Armed men have become a normal thing on these streets. He's controlling th flow of information. No one knows the king was poisoned. No one. They only know what he wants them to know.

I understand why he's running a tight duchy. He wants full grip of power. I would do the exactly same thing but the reality is every empire comes to it's end and when the sun sets on him it will be ugly.

My best shot is not to be on his side when shit goes down.

"We need to start distancing ourselves from this regime. You two don't have the number of offenses I have. You can be pardoned if you cooperate and testify against me." I whispered.

"I'm not a traitor." Oscar spoke with gritted teeth. "Especially not to you."

"I'll follow you anywhere." Marlina assured me.

We got comfortable around the circle table just when the servants were to arrive with dinner but it is Adair who joined us accompanied by Dela.

"Good evening. I hope the four of you don't mind if we have a word." He smiled like the devil he is.

"It's your house." Pamper a man, tell him what he wants to hear and he immediately feels like a god. Pathetic.

"Thank you Nilsa." He smiled.

I'm getting sick of the small talk and useless pleasantries.

"What do you want?" I hate small talk.

"Since you so willingly offered a cure to your brother, would you happen to know if he's fully recovered?"

"I would love to call the palace and ask for you!" I sang. "Of course not you twit! How would I know that?"