Chapter Nineteen: The Death of Kings

Carperia
Queen Renée's POV
I only out in an hour if sleep. After that, I couldn't even if there was warmth and comfort in Dana's arms. Unlike me, she's asleep, soundly so.

I ran my fingers through Rehan's growing hair. I wonder if he would like to keep it long like his father. Reli hasn't suggested a hair cut, not even once so I think he doesn't mind.

"Mama is so stressed there's not enough today. I'm sorry." I apologized to him when he gave me a blank look. I think his food is done with. As the days progress, I'm making less milk. But Reli also had his share early yesterday morning when we were making love. "You should really start liking your bottle Rehan."

I buttoned up my pajama shirt. He didn't fuss. He's quiet. "Dada." He asked me. Or is he telling me?

There's someone in the Shadow of the hallway. I almost jumped until I saw Xanth. "Hi."

"You startled me!" I exclaimed.

"The guard said you're awake. I was just about to leave and I didn't want to leave without talking to you."

"Sit down." I patted the empty spit beside me.

He took a seat and draped his jacket over his lap. "What a night." He sighed. "How are you Renée? I can't help but be reminded of how you were after his fall from the peak of Dargan."

"I'm scared. I'm scared I'll lose him for good this time."

"Dada."

"Rehan, Xanth is not your dada." I reprimanded him. "I'm sorry. He misses his father already."

"He's perfect. You two made something perfect." Xanth smiled and offered his hand to my son. He quickly took it and agreed to be held by a total stranger. They have never met. "Hi buddy."

"Hi." He responded.

"What is that? Your fifth or sixth word?" I tickled him.

"Dada."

"No." I warned him.

"Dada!" He screamed.

"You little confused monkey." I pinched his nose playfully.

Xanth held him close. We had some comfortable silence. It's quiet.

"How have you been?" He asked. "It's been what, a year?"

"I think so or even more. We're you here to meet the prince after he was born?"

"No. I didn't think it would be wise." He cringed.

"Do you think it's wise for you to be here now?"

"Yeah. I'm over you."

Ouch.

"Good. That's good."

"It wasn't easy but uh... I can now say I have zero feelings for you. Like zero mushy emotional sexual feelings gone."

"Okay..." I felt a little disappointed. I dint mind the occasional person who is not my husband noticing me. I feel hot because it's someone else. But nothing more should come of it. "So are you seeing someone?"

"Nope."

"All alone?"

"Yeah."

"Don't you get lonely?"

"Well it does get lonely. But it's my reality so far. I just try to be comfortable with it. Renée, you did great yesterday... No. Early this morning. You did great. He chose the right woman."

"Thank you."

"If you need support, someone to talk to, just give me a call."

"I will take you up on that. No one knows my ugly better than you and Barlowe."