Chapter Eighteen: The Gates Of The Kings

Queen Renée's POV
"My fellow Chea Nivans, good morning." I focused on the words on the screen in front of me. It looks like I'm making eye contact and speaking without reading. It's clever. Now I know how Reli did it. "I have no choice but to share with you some sad news. Our king, Relian Kaelan has taken ill. It was sudden and unexpected. After evaluating the situation it was unanimously decided that I should take the throne as Queen Regent until such a time that the king is able to resume his duties."

We agreed that the best way is not to tell CN that their king is on his death bed. We wanted them to know that we are in full control even in Reli's absence. Penni advised me to consistently use the word 'we' to show a united alfront and also to make the kingdom confident in me. They don't know me and I'm only 24. I'm also a woman and the last female queen left a bitter taste in their mouth. According to Penni, I'll have time to prove myself but that time is not in this speech. This speech is to reassure and explain how the coming days will be. Reli always said 'I' because he has that power to call the monarchy his.

"One of the things that Reli always emphasized was continuity. From as early as I met him he held that the monarchy is all about continuity. It should never be paused and that is why as soon as he recovered from his fall from the peak y Dargan, he was coronated as king. He did not waste any time. That is his nature, to be prompt and proactive. That is why I'm seated here today to enforce the continuity of the monarchy ad a symbol of authority and leadership in Chea Niva. The days to follow will be marked with uncertainty and worry. But we urge all of you to follow the stipulated guidelines set by the monarchy in order to make it through as peacefully and as calmly as possible. I would like to thank all of you for exhibiting the bravery that our king always shows and may that continue to be your spirit through this difficult time. Thank you."

As soon as they disconnected the recording I looked at my trembling fingers. I remained seated in the high back leather chair in Reli's office. There are flags behind me set up for this announcement.

"That was very good." Taof touched my shoulder.

It's 3:30 am in the morning. I haven't had any sleep since Penni came in at 10:30pm with bad news. When Reli was setting up the kingdom after taking Carperia, he would come to bed in the early hours close to dawn. I would throw a fit about it. Now I understand what his nights must have been like. He had to be a king by day and SC by night. I owe him an apology. I now understand.

My eyes met Taof's blue eyes. "Thank you."

She slipped her hand into my trembling hand. "He would be proud of you. You have really stepped up. I'm proud of you."

"Thank you."

"Your majesty, you can turn in for about two hours or so. We start over bright and early." Penni informed me.

I got up and like a zombie I walked all the way to the chambers I share with the man who is now absent. Dana and my ladies in waiting are seating quietly. To see them so silent and deep in thought just paints a picture of how everyone is feeling. Reli's phonecall broke our hearts. Even they heard him. Takara is inconsolable. She's with Cormac. QM has refused to shed even a single tear. She remains hard faced and hopeful.

"Your majesty!" They all stood up when they noticed me. They busied themselves to prepare me for bed. One if them started pulling the bed covers away and fluffing the pillows. Another brought my pajamas. A third attended to helping me undress. Dana just watched quietly without saying anything.

It's times like this I'm grateful I have these women in my life because I would have gone to bed in full uniform plus the shoes.

When I was dressed and ready for bed, I stopped them. "I just want to say thank you for taking care of me. I'm really grateful. You guys go to bed now. I think we have a very busy day tomorrow."