Chapter Six: A Good Day

Queen Renée's POV
"You do realize there's nothing left Rehan. Unless you want milk powder, mama is officially out."

As if what I have said is funny, he starts laughing.

I widened my eyes in a futile attempt to fight the sleep in me. It's not every morning the king joins us for any meal. In that sector,this family is lacking. It's not a big deal really. Back home we rarely ate together unless we went to Court's. But there's something in me that has changed. Maybe it's being a mom and wanting to see my son in a happy cohesive family.

"QM, Takara, can I say something?" They both paid attention. We are just about to have breakfast. I signalled the servants to wait for me to speak. I forcefully separated Rehan from my breast. He's just hurting me now. I sat him straight to face his grandmother and his great grandmother. "I dint know how things worked when Reli's dad was alive but I have a suggestion. I would like to initiate meals together as a family. What I mean is that we should all-"

Reli walked in to grab an apple like he usually does before he splits. I don't know when he eats or what he eats. He's just so busy.

"What?" He asked all of us.

"Honey can you sit down please? I know you're busy but it will take a minute."

"I can spare a minute." He sat down.

"I grew up in a family that never spent any time together. Everyone was on their own doing their own thing. While that was okay, I came to CN and I met you QM. I met you Reli and Takara too. This is not a family I have been born into but I feel I belong here. Everyday when one of us leaves this palace, we aren't sure if we will see that person again. Life is very uncertain and I think we should start making new memories so that Rehan can have something to look back at and possibly a tradition to carry on. What do you guys think? Can we do more things together? We can start with breakfast."

"I think it's a wonderful idea." QM smiled. "Takara?"

"I like it. Let's do that. If Cathan was here he would be pleased."

"I'm not opposed but perhaps we could adjust breakfast to be served earlier. How is 7am?"

There was instant grumbling from everyone. "We are not morning people." Takara informed her son.

"But if it means we get to have you at the table with us your majesty, then let it be served even at 6am." I smiled at my husband.

"How about 5am?" We all jeered at him. Even the servants don't like the idea. "I'm just joking. Calm down. 7:30am would be fantastic. But for today, please excuse me."

As usual he kissed his grandmother,his mother and finally took my lips. By now everyone is used to these public displays of affection. He took his time. When he pulled away he smiled softly.

"I love you." I whispered.

"I'll see you in an hour. Don't be late and don't bring Rehan."

"Not a chance." I chuckled.

He kissed Rehan's forehead.

I can't stop smiling even after he has walked out.

I heard an applause that made me notice Diana. "That was beautiful your majesty. I was moved. It's interesting to observe you from afar. You're growing on me and I dint get attached. Newspaper!" She opened her hand and received one from Harris. "The verdict is in! Do you want to hear?"

I nodded. QN and Takara also paid attention.

Diana wore her glasses and held the newspaper at arms length like she usually does. "Carperia got a new surge of life yesterday when a new art gallery opened in the heart of the city. The usual scene got a regal surprise when the illusive Queen of  Chea Niva made an unannounced visit to show her support for local artists. The Queen's sense of style was simply classic and had many remarking that she belongs to a runway given her natural height and beauty. But all physical things aside, it was quite notable that like the king, she fares well with the press. She made a joke that made everyone around her laugh and she seemed to move with ease paying attention to every artist in her path. But before the end of the show, she pulled a typical Kaelan stunt and vanished only to emerge at a local pizza place. According to sources, she walked there in the company of her bodyguards, chatted the locals and even got a table and enjoyed several slices of Chicken BBQ. The owner of the restaurant was interviewed later and he said "she was absolutely pleasant and didn't want to be shown favor above any other person in the restaurant". We have had a military queen, a glamorous queen and it seems we now have the people's queen."