Chapter Thirty Six: One Should Stay

Carperia
King Relian's POV
"Thank you for coming."

Cassidy Spade looks uneasy. I'm not going to take the trophy for this because Renée is in the room and she is making her nervous. It goes without saying that I'm the ice and she's the fire. She's the one who gets physical fast. She's the one with a hard face, a consistent frown of hostility. I'm the one who smiles more. It's only fitting therefore that when we are in a room together, that she's the bad cop.

"I..." She forced her eyes away from Renée. "I'm honored to be here."

I want to laugh but nothing can be done to make Renée think that I find her funny.

"I'll get to the point. I have been looking for a new Admiral to head the Silver Fleet. It will ease the workload on Cormac and  increase efficiency. You made my short list of names and I'm happy to inform you that after a thorough deliberation with the necessary parties, I'm appointing you as the Admiral of the Silver Fleet."

She raised her eyebrows at me.

Cassidy Spade is good at what she does. She's efficient and she knows how to take orders. On top of that, I value her good character. Renée told me what she did. She did not pin the blame on my wife after Renée punched her. She took responsibility for the fall out between them. That's good character. I reward good character. I don't see anyone else more fit to replace Arden. On top of that, we can't have people thinking I'm biased against hardworking female military officers. Now there's two of them.

"SC... It would be an honor." She answered still in shock.

"Good." I got up and so did Cormac and Renée. I offered my hand to her. We shook hands. "We don't have time for the usual proceedings. That will come after. Lias with Cormac and he will bring you up to speed with the plans in motion. You're excused."

"Thank you SC." She looked at Renée and smiled. My wife's smile is small and fleeting. I think she still doesn't like Cassidy but they have mutual respect between them which is more important.

Once they left I paid attention to her. "Are you good?"

"Can I hold a high military title? Like Admiral or General?"

"It depends on a lot. What kind of queen do you want to be?"

She shrugged. "I don't know."

"Trophy queen? Diplomatic queen or a military queen? Whatever other queen you want to be?"

"What do you see me as?"

"I see you as my wife. Simple." I drew her into my arms. "You don't need titles to matter to me. Being my wife and the mother of my children is enough for me. But I have to ask, is it enough for you?"

She rested her palms on my chest. Her brown eyes are unusually soft. I feel like there's something she wants to say but she's not saying it.

I pressed a kiss on her forehead.

"Renée, honey, you can tell me. Whatever it is that is bothering you, just say it." I cupped her pretty face in my hands. "Hmmm?"

"I'm pr-"

"SC, they are ready for you." Penni informed me.

"Can you hold that thought? I need to hold a press conference." I gave her a quick peck on the lips.

I caught up with Penni.

"So, the diplomats in your dungeon..."

"What dungeon? What diplomats?" I asked.

She nodded with a knowing smile on her face. We will refuse to acknowledge anything but we will deny everything.

"This war, you're seeing it through?"