Chapter Forty Six: Revenge

Before Della's Death...
Ellie's POV
"She got a life sentence and you got a death penalty?" I shrieked. "Where is the justice in that?"

"Keep it down Ellie!" Nia reprimanded me.

Mom is the one who reprimands me mostly but I think the shock of her verdict has left her speechless. She's pale and I'm beyond angry that Reli would just not do something about this! Della would have been his mother in law! First Thalia was murdered under his watch by his psychotic sister and then now he won't do something about the court's sentence?

"I'm going to Carperia. I will have an audience with the king!"

I stormed off.

Nia chased after me, all the way outside the prison begging me to slow down. I only stopped when she persisted.

"Stop being irrational! You are not entitled to any audience with the king!"

"He can do something about this! Don't you see the injustice in this? The courts obviously favored Nilsa because she is the king's sister!"

"Does it matter? It's done! We should be spending our final moments with our mother and not arguing into futility."

"It matters because the Kaelans murdered dad. The Kaelans murdered Thalia. The Kaelans are the puppeteers behind our mother's execution! It matters!"

She hook hee head. "Don't be stupid. There may be a time to revenge but it's not now. If you do it quickly you'll be messy. We should just ride the storm out. Let's accept the execution and then we can plan what is next."

"What do you think Thalia would do?"

"Thalia and mom had a big disagreement before her death. I dint know what she would have done but I know we shouldn't be quick to go for revenge. Go home, clear your mind. After the funeral we will both take time to come up with payback."

After the funeral...
Nia, myself and a few relatives attended the low key funeral. We got a permit to bury her in the public cemetery here on Saine Neane. She never likes Saine Neane yet this is where she shall rest... in the cold icy grounds of the North.

I hav invited them to my home for some hot beverages and a place we can sit quietly.

"She was a duchess and she has been buried like a commoner." I mattered quietly.

Nia took my hand. "Don't go down that road." She urged me but I pulled my hand free. "Not even Thalia got to be queen because that wench Nilsa pushed her out of the window-"

"Ellie! For goodness sake! Shut up!" Nia shouted at me. "That is enough!"

I looked away. "Nilsa is still alive!"

"Would it have been better for both to get the death sentence?" My father's sister asked me. She lives abroad, not in Chea Niva. She left soon after my father's death and is only returning now.

"Yes!"

"And that would make you feel better? Because I think you'll still complain. There's no outcome that is better." She told me.

"Is that how you felt when they buried dad after his so called short illness?" I shot at her.

Her old face grew even more grey. "Your father was not ill. Your father was poisoned."

"Exactly! By the Kaelans!"

"By Roe." She told me. "Roe never liked your father because if his closeness to the king. Rie wanted to be close to the king and he knew your father could see through his shit. So what did Roe do?"