sterceS : XV

His throat was tightening into itself, air getting forcefully knocked out of his burning lungs. His hands reached up, clawing fiercely at his neck, with the tips of his nails turning red from the blood gathering underneath. He opened his mouth widely, trying to gulp in as much oxygen as possible, but it only made more water flood into his chest, which made the burning even worse.

His last breath made its way up by taking the form of bubbles, angry massive bubbles flought in the water and made his eyesight even dimmer than it already was.

He was squirming in agony as his forehead collided with the glass, his feet glued to the bottom by a thick metal chain.

He felt his grip on consciousness slip away slowly, and his movements died down. He knew that he couldn't close his eyes, he knew that it was dangerous, but he couldn't help it.

He let out a last choked sound, that was not really a sound considering that he was underwater.

His eyes closed, and his clawing hands went limp.

He only floated lifelessly in the tube.

"Start" A deep voice said, an unpleasant excitement very clear in the tone.

The ticks of the hour hand were heard, alongside the sounds of buzzing machines and the pump, pumping water constantly into the tube.

Few agonizing moments went by, the unsettling grin never leaving the man's face, while the other figure wearing a white cloak kept staring professionally at the timer he held in his palm.

Suddenly, a muffled gasp for air was heard, and the limp body woke up to life at once.

"Time?" The grinning man demanded.

"3:46" The other replied while writing down acquired data and the machines' readings.

"Not enough!" The rough voice shouted in dissatisfaction. He scratched violently at his dry neck, not being able to handle the stress properly.

"Again!"

*****

He stomped heavily toward the building, not knowing if that was a good idea. He has never seen her since that day, not even once, so what changed now?

He didn't know.

He only knew one thing, he needed to do this, maybe more for his own sake than for hers. But it was still a heavy burden.

The colour of her long silver hair was still fresh in his memory. The scent of roses and vanilla still lingered on in his nose, as if he has just smelt it yesterday. Her gentle touch, her charming voice, her caring eyes, he still remembered everything.

But he remembered that day too. It felt as if it was less real than his other memories, but it was the one that left the biggest impact, one that he, unconsciously, couldn't escape from.

That's exactly why he had to do this.

The automatic glass doors opened infront of him, though he wished they didn't. He could have an excuse to turn around and leave if they were just locked.

He spend a second staring at the insides of the building. The doors opening and closing repeatedly, making him gain so much unnecessary attention from the patients.