lacihtE : XIX

Eri sat in her usual corner, holding a blue crayon, stroking skillfully the big well-read words one after the other.

Mirio was in the corridor at the vending machine, out of sight. But recently, she grew more confident, enough to not freak out if she doesn't have him within eyesight for a couple of hours.

But she was awfully lonely. With her brother still in that state, her hero busy with something she didn't know about, all the other kids avoiding her as she has isolated herself from them, and then, Kiyoshi...

He didn't show up for a couple of days, even though they didn't fulfill their promise yet!

Why was he not coming anymore? Did he get tired of her? Of how clingy she is, or how sensitive and avoidant she could be? Is he not having fun writing and reading with her all day long? Did he..

Did he get tired of being her friend?

He was her very first friend, and it meant something to her. It really did.

But if he decided he didn't want to play with her, then who was she to complain?

But...

She at least hoped they could do the things they promised to do before he abandoned her.

No!

She was not going to give up. If not with Kiyoshi, then she would do it herself!

*****

Mirio came into the playing area to secretly check on her. He didn't want to look too overprotective, for little Eri's own good, she had to learn how to be independent, little by little.

But that still didn't stop him from taking a peep at how she was doing!

And he found her exactly where he left her, alone in the corner. She held her crayon tightly, her small fingers getting stained with all the crayons she's been using the whole time.

But she didn't do anything. She stared blankly at the words, seemingly deep in thought. She seemed very pitiful in that form, so tiny and vulnerable.

Mirio felt concern creeping into his heart, as Eri-chan continued to be so still.

He was about to come in, before he realized that she had finally snapped out of it, standing very suddenly and running to grab a handful of different papers, pencils and scissors.

She sat back again at her spot, seemingly a lot more energetic than she was previously.

Her shy little smile...back on her face.

Mirio didn't realize, the one growing on his.

*****

It was cold.

He could feel his exposed skin getting hastily rubbed with something cold.

A cold scalpel touched his side, and he knew exactly what would come next.

An unseen figure in the shadows watched carefully from the side, his grin not visible, as he watched in more awe than excitement.

Someone muttered something beside his ear, but the whole world was out of focus, he couldn't comprehend what was being said.

The tip dug painfully into his skin, creating a long straight cut, but he knew better than to let out any noise. He could feel two metal retractors getting placed on either side of the cut, before they got pulled apart, causing immense pain to shoot throughout his entire body. He tried to stop himself from reacting, but a small gasp left his mouth unintentionally.

"Why isn't it working!" A distressed voice said beside him. He could feel a long needle inside his arm. Something was definitely getting pumped into his veins, but he didn't react whatsoever.

Blood oozed quickly and strated to drip on the surgical table, and before long there was a pool of blood on the floor too.

"Hey! Don't get the floor dirty!" The shadowy figure snarled.

"S- sorry sir!" The one holding the scalpel apologized. He ordered nervously his assistant to get a towel and a suction pump. Should they get some blood while they are at it? It's better than waisting it on the floor like this anyway. And the market price is great these days.

Someone was pacing back and forth, muttering incomprehensibly, anguishing over how to deal with the situation. The person was biting his thumbnail, as  shuffling and flipping of files and paper were heard.

And there it was, the awfully excruciating pain he could never get used to. The feeling of the nerves and vessels getting forcefully torn, the feeling of emptiness in a spot that should not be empty. The tormenting long seconds of pulling aggressively at the tissues and the screaming flesh.

"I- I have t-to do it" A trembling hand reached out for the table of medical tools.

A cold scalpel touched his chest, and he knew exactly what would come next.....

*****

"Why are you crying?"

He knew that this strange person that magically appeared next door and started to live with auntie was not a man of many words. He could always find him sitting in his own spot on the grass and staring into the sky mindlessly. But Katsuki was not going to tolerate this trespassing on his properties!

The male's head shot up in surprise not expecting anyone else to be there. He raised his hand to his cheek, seemly not realizing the tears running along his chin.

Katsuki was getting fed up with this person, how dare he take his place?! And his auntie too!

He stomped forward, frowning at the young man who kept his hazy gaze forward.

Katsuki pushed him harshly with all his might, but for being a 5 years old kid, it wasn't that strong.

But the seemingly weak teenager still fell backwards, his head colliding with the grassy ground underneath. But he still made no attempt to move, as he stared emptily at the cloudless sky.

Little Katsuki felt a little bit proud, being able to defeat someone bigger than him.

"How are you so useless while being so big? You're really such a Deku"

The male stared in confusion, not expecting to hear that demanding tone from a 5 years old boy in the middle of the woods.

He moved his head slowly, looking at the ruby eyes for a long while, as if searching for something particular.

But in the end, he could only smile gently at the childish behaviour, his head tilting slightly to the side. The fading spattered freckles contrasted by the pale white complex made his appearance seem so innocent, so small and harmless, and so angelic in a way.

A red hue spread itself on the bridge of little Katsuki's nose from a strange mix of timidity and frustration. This person was totally mocking him! And he was not to be mocked! He is very powerful and great! A Deku should not smile when called a Deku!

"I'm- I'm telling auntie you mocked me!" The frustrated kid ran away with a scratched pride, so determined to get that person in trouble no matter what, leaving the young individual behind, who for the first time in an unimaginably long time, let out a small airy laugh of amusement.