XL: Restoration

"I should wait here."

Aizawa was not expecting Bakugou to be so discreet at that moment. In his head, he had been running simulations of what he would do if, or rather when, Bakugou was going to be too impulsive or impatient that he would start disturbing.

Yet once again, Bakugou had proved that there was more to him than his angry facade. And that he knew when to step down for the sake of the greater good.

So just like that, Shouta had rolled Izuku's wheelchair in to Bakugou Mitsuki's wardroom, as they left Katsuki outside.

The whole mental hospital seemed informed about their visit, and everyone looked rather anxious, expecting them to trigger the fragile woman one way or the other.

Every other minute a nurse would come by and take a look, making sure everything was calm och peaceful. Each one of them seemed familiar with his student, and he had to say, the quick glances of pity did infuriate even him, so he couldn't imagen how the easily irritated teen had felt the entire time.

Katsuki, though as said, didn't come in with them, was still watching them from a distance. He was angled that his mother couldn't see him, and only he got to see her bed and the majority of the room.

At the sight of Izuku, Mitsuki had nearly whiplashed her neck by the sudden jolt that ran through her body.

"I-izuku.."

A pang of pain hit Katsuki right in his chest, seeing how his mother recognized someone he didn't even remember, while she forgot her own son. He knew it was immature, but he couldn't help the jealousy that started to burn in his heart at the caring tone she had addressed the other greenette with.

"Ah...agh...agh.." the woman started to suddenly shake violently as sobs rocked her whole being. She wrapped her arms around herself protectively as a single syllable escaped her lips.

"In- In- In-"

Katsuki took a step closer, but had to resist the overwhelming need to go there and embrace his precious mother. He knew he would do more harm than good. He hadn't stopped trying approaching her for ten years, and he still got the same results, so he got the lesson inside and out at that point. And he was this close, this close, to finally help her. He just had to be patient for a little longer.

"Shh, Mitsuki. It's....going to be....okay." Aizawa let go of the wheelchair to let Izuku wheel himself closer to the bed. When he placed his hand on top of her eyes, Katsuki was suddenly hit with a feeling of a phantom touch, as a familiar distant shadow echoed in his mind.

"Shh, Kacchan. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry you had to witness that. It's going to be okay. It's going....to be okay."

As the phantom fingers on his eyes disappeared, he snapped out of it just in time to see Izuku drop limply on his mother's lap, as his teacher frantically shouted out his name.

*****

When both Izuku and Mitsuki had lost consciousness, Aizawa-sensei had hastily decided to go back to the facility. So he had gathered the boy immediately in his arms and dashed right to the car.

That left Katsuki gaping in surprise, unable to comprehend what had just happened. Yet as quickly as the paralysis had come, he found himself sprinting towards his mother.

She had her eyes squeezed tightly shut. And unlike Izuku, she looked like she was about to wake up any second.

At the commotion the hero had caused when he had run as if his life depended on it, several nurses, and even Todoroki's mother, had shown up. And honestly, Katsuki was a little grateful, not wanting to be alone when his mother woke up in case her reaction was just as usual.