XXXIX: The Outside

Eri could not hide her excitement as she ran enthusiastically infront of them in the corridors, looking back occasionally to make sure they were following her.

Mirio pushed Izuku's chair slowly through the wide corridors of U.A. as he waved at Eri-chan reassuringly whenever she looked at them.

The little girl's heartiness was self-explanatory, seeing how it was their official first time out since God knows how long.

Mirio had done his best to not make the girl feel trapped by taking her on walks when they were in the hospital, but since they changed locations, Aizawa-sensei had been especially strict and more worried, so he tried to refrain from upsetting him.

But honestly, it couldn't have been good to Eri's mental health to be cooped up in a matchbox continuously like that. So he, of course, had volunteered to help guarding and protecting the duo on their trip outside.

Currently, they were roaming U.A. freely, waiting for the last period to end so that Aizawa-sensei could accompany them when he has finished.

Infront of him, Eri was running with wildly outstretched arms, her silver beautiful locks flying in her trail, as she was trying to enjoy every single detail of her small newfound experience of freedom.

Izuku has been still and quiet in his wheelchair, which wasn't anything new, but his gaze was, more than ever, full of life. Not to mention that he was actually watching closely, with alot of concentration, what the little girl was doing. He was starting to seem more and more present with each passing day, which would in return heighten Eri's spirit, leading to more improvement in both of them. A perfect reinforcement cycle they would do anything to maintain.

Turning a corner, Togata found that Eri has stopped, turning his way, with sparkling wide eyes, and pointing at a group of students stationed right outside a classroom.

1-A's classroom.

Eri didn't waste a second before she ran to the group, grabbing the hand of one specific Uraraka Ochako and literally dragging her over to them.

"Nii-chan! Nii-chan! It's the kind nee-chan that helped us when you were sick!"

It took Ochako a moment to process what had hit her so suddenly, but then she recognised little Eri-chan, and... her sick brother from the hospital?!

"Oh my God! Eri-chan!" She dropped down to her knees and hugged the girl affectionately. Eri, despite not getting wholly used to the physical attention just yet, accepted the act of kindness wholeheartedly and with zero hesitance.

When they pulled away, Ochako took a look at the sickly boy in the wheelchair.

Although he certainly didn't look healthy, and his sluggish movements and gaze suggested he won't be for a while, Uraraka couldn't help being happy that he has at least woken up! The little girl seemed much happier too, nowhere close to the teary withdrawn girl she had met at the hospital.

"Brother-kun," she smiled gently as she held his hands in hers, just like she had done before in the hospital. "I'm glad you're okay."

Something had remarkably changed in Izuku's stance, as he looked down at their hands with more awe than anything else. He kept staring intently, as if trying to figure something out, before the edge of his eyes softened and he seemed to relax again.

Inko...

Before anyone could comment on the unexpected reaction, several familiar voices from the student group started approaching.

"Eri-chan!" Squeaked Mina, trying to give her a bone-crushing hug, but failing miserably when Eri hid behind Ochako uneasily, eyeing the loud unfamiliar teens and returning to her shy and avoidant nature.