XXXVI: Memories

Katsuki was surprised to find his absent classmate in the building. While Shinsou looked equally baffled, raising his eyes from Eri's side, who was showing off her writing while they sat on the ground, and up to meet the blond's confused ones.

His mother laid on the sofa beside them, commenting and conversing with the girl from above every now and then.

She and Hitoshi hadn't talked much the entire week. She knew from her experience as a therapist that they needed to talk this through, yet every time she tried to bring up the topic, he would dismiss her. Not even Eraser was that upset like her own son was. Probably because he felt that a share of the responsibility was on him, seeing how he got exploited as a blackmailing card. She wished she could help him with his bottled up guilt, but she knew her son's nature. He would often get withdrawn to himself when cornered and would internalise every thought and feeling.

On the other hand, the nurse that took care of her wound, the one that got falsely accused because of her, and the one that was supposed to be the most upset one, was dealing with the situation calmly. Sachiko had tried to apologize on several occasions, but got a forgiving response every time she did.

"I'm only happy that no harm came to the patients," she would answer with a dismissive tone that would seem rather cold and monotonous to others, yet the experienced Sachiko knew how genuine she had been.

Sachiko realized the new arrival and looked up as well, flashing an apologetic smile at her son's teacher when their eyes met briefly.

Aizawa only nodded hurriedly in response, guiding Bakugou to Izuku's room as the teen shook himself quickly out of his confusion. He was here for a certain goal, he shall not be swayed by trivialities.

They both made their way in silence, seeing the boy in his usual spot on the bed. Yet for Aizawa, the boy looked significantly better than before, not having any oxygen masks, with a clearer and more conscious glint in the usual absent gaze.

"Izuku, this is-"

"Kacchan," the green-haired male interrupted without even looking at them, as if he had known Bakugou his entire life to be able to recognize his presence even if his eyes were to be closed.

The nickname came as an unexpected surprise to the teacher, but for Bakugou, it was as if a thunderbolt had just hit him.

He knew that nickname, it felt just right coming from the other teen. It was very familiar that he wouldn't have Deku call him any other name, ever.

"Deku." The other nickname had a similar, albeit less recognizable, effect on Izuku, who's posture became more relaxed as he turned to meet Bakugou's unfaltering stare.

Aizawa watched with awe how the teens stared at each other for a moment, realising that the connection he had hoped for between Izuku's and Bakugou's pasts ran deeper than he thought.

Bakugou broke the staring contest when he grabbed a chair and sat as closely to the bed as possible, his legs nearly getting smashed in-between. Aizawa remained standing close by, in order to be able to rush and pull Bakugou away as fast as possible if needed.

"I have a lot of questions and I think you have the answers." Bakugou had a demanding tone, yet Shouta was still surprised at how civil and controlled the explosive teen had been handling the conversion.

Izuku stiffened, but nodded anyway, holding eye contact with the familiar, yet much older boy he had always known.

Shouta found it astonishing how expressive and responsive Izuku was acting. He had never been this focused before, even with Eri. That was when he knew that he made the right choice in bringing his student here, for both their sakes.