31

[Annika - A, Shivaay - S, Rudra - Ru]

Oberoi Mansion

For the first time in 11 years, Shivaay was not drunk when he got back home, on his mother's death anniversary. And on top of that, he wasn't feeling sad or lost.

Om was sitting with Daadi in the hall, they were talking about something when Shivaay joined them

S: Daadi, you remember the tadka daal you used to make that mom liked?

Daadi: Yes billu puttar, why do you ask?

S: Can you tell me how you made it?

Daadi: Do you want to have it?

S: yes daadi

Daadi: let's make it together then

Shivaay beamed with glee at the prospect of eating something his mother liked.

After dinner, Om went to Shivaay's room.

Om: Shivaay, you surprised us today. You're not drunk. How are you feeling?

S: I feel fine Om. I had a change of perspective today. All these years I have been so focused on the bad part. I locked up all the good memories and I was scared to revisit them. But today I realized what a fool I've been. So now, instead of wallowing over her death, I want to honor mom's life.

Om: and what brought upon this change?

S: Not a 'what' but a 'who'?

Om: Okay, who then?

Om(in his mind): I know it's Annika

S: Someone I never should have pushed away. I made a huge mistake Om, I lost my chance with her. I wasn't ready then, but I know one thing with certainty, that I want her in my life. At whatever capacity she'll have me.

Om: Better late than never, brother. I'm glad you're changing your point of view

*******

The next day around lunchtime, Shivaay went over to Annika's office with his driver. Knowing that she loved his gajar halwa, he brought some for her. He was about to get out of his car when he saw Annika getting in another car with Sanket. It appeared the two of them were headed out for lunch.

It pricked Shivaay's heart because he missed the opportunity to spend time with her but he knew he couldn't hold it against her. It's her life, she can spend her time with whomever she chooses. Disappointed, he handed the package to his driver and asked him to deliver it to her office.

Of course Annika was overjoyed when she came back after lunch and she texted to thank him, but he really wanted to see her reaction first hand. He could imagine exactly how she must have smiled like a little kid, shrieked probably and she must have refused to share it with Neil or anyone else.

********

A few days later, Shivaay received disastrous news.

S: How is this possible Mishra? How could we lose another deal to Daksh Khurana?

Mishra: I couldn't believe it either sir, and their quotation was close to ours.