! Besties 4 The Resties (Part 1)

Pairings: Adrian Chase x "Hero"!Reader
Fandom: DCECU

Word Count: ~ 1150
Warnings: Canon-typical whatnot, cursing
SUMMARY: While fighting the butterflies you're injured and helped by your team members.

A/N I love writing dialogue w/Adrian sm <33 Task Force X/11th Street Kids my beloved. Reader is AFAB but nonbinary I use They/Them pronouns for them <3 There will be more parts and since its canon that Chris & Adrian are Very Uneducated about LGBTQ+ matters I sprinkled in some education :3

Befriending Vigilante of all people was the last thing you planned to do when you came with Task Force X to Evergreen. And figuring his "secret" identity out before all of your co-workers was definitely not something you planned. It was SO obvious. He was your fucking busboy at Fennel Field's for crying out loud.

Chris looked dumbfounded when you said that Vigilante was indeed that brunette from the diner.

"You're gonna look me in the eyes and tell me that Vigilante doesn't have the same annoying ass voice as the busboy?"

It dawned on Chris as he nodded profusely, "Yea, no you're right. I've known him for years and their voices are so similar."

"You've known him for years... and never figured it out?" Harcourt gave Chris a funny look as she crossed her arms.

"Goddamn if that's not stupidity then I don't know what is," Adebayo said.

Chris gasped, "Oh come on! None of you noticed! They did," He looked at you suddenly, "Is it they? Or it? Or he–?"

You cut him off before he could further embarrass himself. "They/them is fine," The redness in his face cooled down, "Don't worry, I'm used to it."

When you said Vigilante had an annoying voice you were stretching the truth. If anything, he had a perfectly normal voice. But now he was overthinking everything after finding out you not only exposed his secret identity but also managed to insult him in one fell swoop.

Adrian normally didn't care what other people said, but he looked up to you in a weird way. A mercenary who also didn't know how to shut their mouth, you were like Peacemaker but way cooler. (don't tell Chris he said that). But he hated how nobody said anything about knowing who he was.

They were all suave and casual, except for you of course. It was so easy to make him squirm. And god was it so fun.

Vigilante was usually confident and witty but it seemed Adrian Chase broke through the cracks whenever you'd poke at him.

"I can see you blushing under your visor, kid." He hated being called kid, "Don't look at me like that wondering how I can see." That skeeved him out, how the hell did you even see under the red visor. Maybe that was how you figured out his identity and definitely not his completely normal–not annoying voice.

Anytime you two were alone, you'd find something new to make him suddenly conscious of. Adrian wasn't sure if he had no dignity or incredibly high pride but he never really felt insecure, all his life he was blissfully unaware of how he looked to the world. He knew how the world looked at him but he didn't care.

Now however, he found himself questioning everything.

"I don't actually think you're annoying, you know." You had a sneaking suspicion that he was eavesdropping that day when you admitted to figuring out his identity. "You're the only one on the team I seem to relate to."

"Really? I thought you hated me or something–like every time I say something you call me a dick or an idiot–"

"That's my love language, idiot." You added on with a smile.

Adrian thought that was weird, "So you weren't being mean just now?" You shook your head, "Can you warn me before you be all fucking weird next time?"

You shrugged and pushed him out of the way of gunfire, "Sure, I'm about to be all fucking weird," You warned, "You're the most annoying person ever," Your tone was dripping in sarcasm. He laughed.

"Thanks, hey groin-sandwiches!" Vigilante called out, a group of butterflies turned your way.

"Groin sandwiches?" You questioned.

"It was that or cockwaffles."

"Why's it between cockwaffle and groin-sandwich and you chose the latter?!"

He's unable to answer as you two advance on the butterflies. It's no trouble at all killing them, you've been a mercenary for the better half of your life. It was second nature to murder someone.

Vigilante was crazy efficient with his kills, he worked like you did but so much more fluid. Not like you'd ever admit that, you just knew his ego would fucking explode. "Cockwaffle is just as weird as fucking–" You stabbed the man in the eye, the sound of the butterfly inside squealing indicated it was dead, "–groin sandwiches."

Blood splattered across your mask, blurring your vision when you wiped a hand down the front of it. "Christ," Your chest heaved as he finished the last guy off. "I fucking hate these things." They were so much stronger than normal humans it was exhausting.

"Yea," He breathed, "Me too." You two made your way back to the others. "You're literally covered in blood."

"I know," You mumbled, holding your side firmly. Somewhere amongst the chaos of it all, you were stabbed with something. It hurt like a bitch.

He noticed how you pressed your hand into your side, "What the fuck, dude! Is that a stab wound?" You nodded faintly, "No wonder you're covered in blood,"

That made you chuckle, "Ding ding ding, we have a winner." A cough shook your body, "Do you think you could help me out?"

"No problem," Adrian lifted you onto his back as you forced yourself to hang on as best as possible, "I've never carried a hero on my back before."

"I don't think I–" Another cough, "count as a hero, I kill people."

"Does that mean I'm not a hero?" You nodded with a silent laugh. "Oh shit, I've got you. Where the fuck is everyone?"

"Stab wounds aren't deadly, they're perfectly fine!" Adrian argued, he lifted your arm and dropped it. It fell limp, his eyes widened for a moment. "That's normal."

Economos rolled his eyes, "That's not normal you dipshit, they're unconscious because of the stab wound."

Adrian puffed out a breath, "Yea sure, it's not like they passed out because they're tired of carrying the team on their shoulders." At this point he was just arguing for fun, he was a bit worried about you. And in turn, wouldn't shut his fucking mouth.

"Just shut up both of you, please." Harcourt was driving the van, her hands gripping the wheel tightly. Nobody knew why you joined the team or why you also had an exploding chip in your neck but her.

Murn did too but he was dead so it doesn't matter anymore. Waller chose you because of your anonymity. You'd been building a portfolio of kills for nearly a decade. In exchange for knowing your past, Harcourt graciously offered her name.

Emilia Harcourt, you laughed at her when she said it.

"A proper name for a proper lady." You forced a fake (and horrible) British accent. She didn't find it to be too amusing. "I'm kidding, it's pretty." Emilia rolled her eyes before inviting you to join her for a drink.