@ Life-Long Friends

Pairings: Tobias Eaton x Amity!Reader
Fandom: Divergent

Warnings: Mentions of abuse
Request from ​: Hi there! So I noticed you are taking requests for Tobias Eaton so, what if, the reader is Eric's sister in Amity and is the one who welcomes them there and you can come up with the rest if you want

A/N I decided to take out the element of the reader being Eric's sister since I always write with a POC!Reader in mind. (Ik they could have been his half-sister but I prefer the reader to be as physically ambiguous as possible :D) Reader was born in Abnegation but transfers to Amity when they turn 16! (also I was so tempted to call them besties ahhh)

You know Tobias before you both turn 16 since you were born AbnegationEven though he's never around, you think he deserves a friendIt takes a while to get Tobias talking but you soon realize he's a sweetheartYou become best friends at age 12 and begin hanging out at the Eaton houseUnbeknownst to you, Tobias appreciates your company since his father doesn't bother him (or hit him) when you're aroundTobias doesn't come around your house often, when he does, Marcus joins himThe friendship between you is calm and safe, Tobias grounds you and you give him confidenceTobias opens up about losing his mother (even though you already knew) and how it felt and that was when you knew he was a keeper (lifelong friend)Nobody understands how you two manage to be such good friends because you're light and positive, while Tobias is the epitome of dark and pessimisticYour mum calls you two the sun and moon (Tobias being the moon)Something always irks you about Marcus, you don't feel too comfortable around him and are thankful he allows you and Tobias to go into Tobias' roomTobias sometimes hints that Marcus isn't a good father, but he always changes the subject quicklyYou nickname him Tobi (pronounced toe-bee) and he claims to hate itBy the time you're 16, Tobias tells you everything (except that Marcus is abusive)He tells you how he wants out of Abnegation and you confide in him, saying you agreeNeither of you admit which faction is the most appealing to you but it's like you know you're going to get separatedAfter the Aptitude test, Tobias begins to act weird despite getting AbnegationYou tell him you got Abnegation too (you lied, you got Amity)"Hey, don't worry about what happens tomorrow. We're life-long friends... even if we end up in different factions. I'm always here." (You)
"I'm not worried about that, I'm worried I won't leave." (Tobias)
"If you need to, do it. Don't even think about me. Think about yourself and you only. You'll be the one who will have to live with your choice." (You)
"Are you telling me to be selfish?" (Tobias)
"Yes, Tobi. Be selfish." (You)
It comes as no surprise that Tobias doesn't choose Abnegation, but his choice of Dauntless startles you a bit... he's never seemed to be like the DauntlessWhen you choose Amity, you find his eyes in the crowd of black before you look toward your familyThere's understanding in his brown eyes, he knew you had to do it and you knew he had to get out tooThe next time you see Tobias is a whole year later when he's bringing iniaties to the gateIt was purely based on chance you were there and you two didn't get to speak, but it was nice to see himYou don't see Tobias again after that... until the attack on AbnegationYou wouldn't lie, you were worried sick about your old friend and couldn't stop yourself from hugging himHe looked so different, taller definitely, wider too... he felt like a grown man"What- Y/N?" (Tobias)
"Oh my god, Tobi, it's so good to see you!" (You)
"My name's Four now," (Tobias)
The look in his eyes tells you he means it, so you begin calling him the strange name of "Four""Hi, Four... I was worried about you, who's this?" (You)
"Tris, this is Y/N... an old friend." (Tobias)
"I didn't know he had friends, it's so nice to meet you." (Tris)
"You look familiar, were you in Abnegation by chance?" (You)
"Yea, switched to Dauntless." (Tris)
You don't see Tobias around much after your reunion but you do get to know Tris, she turns out to be nice and you enjoy her company"Four was definitely quiet when we were younger..." (You)
"Yea, I noticed that. He's outspoken even though he doesn't speak much." (Tris)
That made a lot of sense to you, he still felt like your best friend but he definitely didn't blend into the walls of any roomWhen the Erudite come to Amity, you're with FourIt's chaotic as everyone runs around to change and blend inYou give Four pointers on how to seem like an Amity"Why're you helping me?" (Tobias)
"Dumb question, you're my friend, that's why. Head up, don't meet their eyes, but smile. A real smile, T." (You)
"Thank you, should I laugh for no reason?" (Tobias)
"Yea, now, oh my god! That's hilarious," (You)
"You didn't lie when you said you'd be here for me even if we split up." (Tobias)
"Of course I didn't, we're life-long friends buddy." (You)