& He Was Everything

Pairings: Malyen Oretsev x Reader
Fandom: Grishaverse

Word Count
: 900
Warnings: Cursing, fluff, description of wounds/blood
SUMMARY: After the volcra attack, you're allowed to relax with your... friend.
: "YOU SAID TO BE HONEST, STOP HITTING ME.": First Kiss: "I've loved you for years."

A/N Part two to the incredibly description heavy "What Was He"

Despite the circumstances, being back with Mal felt like heaven. You got to meet his first army mates, Mikhael and Dubrov. They immediately made it a point to take the piss out of Mal. It made you laugh especially when your friend's cheeks would turn particularly rosy.

There was a sort of vacation for a week, you were in and out of the infirmary due to concerns about you after the volcra attack. Mal constantly asked if you were alright and the answer was always the same. You didn't get much time to talk but when you did, it was always you picking a fight with Mal.

"I'm standing upright, aren't I?"

Nobody knows when you started saying that when asked if you were fine, but it soon became your default answer.

"Be honest, Y/N. The fold's terrifying and I've never even been inside it." Mal begged like a child.

You gave him a dirty look, "Malyen, I am okay. I won't say I'm standin' upright, shh!" Mal closed his mouth, you knew he'd mock you if you hadn't put a stop to it. "But I am really alright. I'm alive, that's all that matters."

The look on his face told you he didn't believe you, "Alright, out with it then, Mr. Oretsev." You crossed your arms across your chest, "Be honest, the saints are listening."

"I'm just saying, you look like shit!"

Your jaw dropped in feign anger. "I'm going to kill you." You jumped at Mal on his cot.

He shielded himself from your playful slaps, "YOU SAID TO BE HONEST, STOP HITTING ME!" Mal managed to shout out as he grabbed a hold of your hands.

A bright smile fought its way onto your face while you beat on your best friend. When Mal caught sight of your grin, he paused and stared. "What're you staring for, you weirdo."

"It's worse when you smile," He joked. You pretended to choke him for a moment as you sat above him.

"You're an ass." Mal shrugged and you rolled your eyes, "Say sorry," You looked at him through your eyebrows and raised a hand threateningly.

Mischief lit up his dark eyes, "I'd rather not," Your head tilted to the side as you smirked. "I think you owe me an apology after beating on me like that."

"It was warranted, you said I looked shit."

"You asked for honesty and I delivered,"

"I'm actually going to kill you now," The attack began as you tickled up and under his arms. Malyen Oretsev has one secret unknown to anyone but you and Alina... he is horribly ticklish. Has been his entire life.

Mal's laughter filled the tent as he howled, trying to push you off of him due to the tickling. "Say 'Y/N is the most amazing looking person ever!' or I won't stop!" You joked as he laughed.

You could hear the words coming out of his mouth, "Never! You look like a pig and you know it!"

The tone of his voice was teasing despite your upper hand. "I need to breathe before you-" He coughed and you stopped tickling him.

"You alright?" Mal's chest heaved as you kept an eye on his face, he nodded. "Good now I can kill you silently," He shook his head at you.

"I think you just took about ten years off my life,"

You rolled off of him and onto the cot beside his bed, "This is awfully close, who sleeps here?" You couldn't help but give Mal a knowing look.

He rolled his eyes, how typical. "I did that for you, idiot."

You smacked his arm and Mal grabbed your hand. Warm and calloused, familiar. "Missed you," Your voice was uncharacteristically quiet. "So much."

Y/E/C eyes met brown eyes, he didn't answer but you knew he missed you too. Mal brought your hand up and kissed the skin softly. A simple act that he had no idea how much it meant to you. It felt like heaven just enjoying his presence after so long apart.

"You know I love you, right?" This confession felt like a bullet to the heart. How did Mal love you?

A slow nod from you made him smile, "I've loved you for years, Y/N." Something changed in his eyes, you saw more than just friendly love... devotion lied in the darkness of his eyes.

How could you react to that? So long thinking you were foolish to think of Mal as possibly something more. It often felt wrong to think of someone who was like family in such a weird way. How could you respond so he knew you felt the same? It was hard to figure out what Malyen meant to you but by the saints he deserved a good answer.

You went about this carefully, much like treating a delicate wound. Sitting up, in your head it was like dabbing the blood away from the cut, you leaned toward Mal, his eyes never left yours. A quick swipe of a salve to ease the pain. You paused, a needle pushed through skin and began to stitch the wound close. And once your lips met, the dressing had been applied; protecting the wound and yourself from falling apart.

His heart sat beneath the hand you pressed onto his chest, it beat wildly as Mal responded by kissing you in return. In that moment, you finally figured out what Mal was to you, he was everything.