Chapter 27- Aarav

Just as I was going through a file, I hear yelling outside my door but before I could react, Inaana burst into my office fuming with rage. Her cheeks flushed, eyes darker than usual and she is literally shaking, not from fear or pain but from anger. She has no makeup on, her face bare with any trace of them, not even lipstick. Her straight hair, with fading blue highlights is pull down and reaching her chest. She is in a plain black skinny jeans and a simple black short sleeves t-shirt with some useless doodling in white on it.

Damn, what have I brought upon myself.

Of course, my new assistant, Tia trails behind her, trying to stop Inaana.

"How dare you threaten my friend!" Inaana stomps closer to me stopping before the desk while I stay seating on the other side.

"Sir, I'm so sorry. I tried stopping her, she just wouldn't stop." Tia explains herself.

I don't stir my eyes from Inaana as I get up and round the table to stand before her. She tilts her head to meet my gaze while I never leave her's

"Leave." I say.

Inaana jerks her head higher while Tia contemplating I meant our angry companion, takes a step towards her while extending a hand towards Inaana to pull her out.

"Leave, Tia." My eyes doesn't move.

Tia doesn't say a word as she nods with embarassment as she leaves the office at once.

"Go on." I give what she wants.

"You threatened Rana." Not a question.

"That's what he told you." I smirk as I turn slightly to play with a paperweight, "Well, I can assure you it was barely a warning. He didn't seem to piss his pants I don't know why he went- actually fuck it. It doesn't concern you." I was playing with him.

She scoffs as she folds her arm over her chest, "Doesn't concern me? You kidding right? Because as far as I can remember, you had a 'talk' with him regarding me."

I swipe my index finger over my bottom lip as I consider her, "Well then, in that case, I chose not to tell you anything."

Inaana fists my suit's jacket at my forearm and jerks me to turn around with as much force as possible.

Her nostrils flare as she talks through gritted teeth, "How dare you. Who do you think you are to go and talk to my bestfriend about my life?"

I don't move her hand away but neither do I talk.

When I don't add anything to the conversation she jerks me again, "Say something Aarav!" She is yelling now.

"What do you want me to say?" I ask flatly.

Though there's nothing calm inside me. I know what I feel right now. Envy. I feel jealous of Rana for having Inaana's care and support in his life where she is ready to fight anyone, someone like me, who can twist that fragile hand of her's in a blink and yet she doesn't fear fighting for him behind his back.

I want that too, not just anyone's support. I want Inaana's. I fucking want what Rana has. I want her to have my back, to have faith in me, to fight for me from anyone and everyone.

She let go of my hand but then she fists my collar with both her palms and yell at my face, "Say that you're sorry. Say that you regret your action. Say that you were kidding. Fucking say something!"

I grip her wrists on my collar and pull her hand away but keep it there, up between us as I say, "I won't say any such thing because for once I'm not sorry. Second, I don't regret shit and I definitely wasn't kidding."

She pulls her hands out of mine as she adds, "You told him to not meet or talk to me or you'll deal with him. Care to explain what that means."

I shrug as I pull out a cigarette and light it up adding fuel to her anger with silence. Silence is what I use against her because she always tries to fill it with words resulting in giving me bits of knowledge of her more everytime.
She doesn't say a word now but stands straight as she cross her arms over her chest again.

I take a drag of smoke in and blow it out at the ceiling before facing her again, "Well I asked him something and if he defies me, he'll be responsible for what happens then."

She laughs bitterly as she asks, "You can't kill him. What's the worst you can do."

I narrow my eyes arching an eyebrow at her, "I don't need to kill him to ruin him. Though if I wished that for him, I could do it. Besides why worry so much, when an amazing career awaits him."

Her eyes widen as her face pales when realisation hit her and she takes a step back shaking her head, "No." She whispers.

I don't say anything. She walks to me and place her palms on both my forearms, "You wouldn't do that. Right?" Her voice shakes.

I don't utter a word as my eyes bore into hers.

"Aarav?" Her voice soft, as she asks again.

"Yes?"

"You won't, right?" Her lips tremble.

"Depends."

"On what?"

"You don't need to worry about that." I give her some relaxation.

"Why?" She looks at me with eyes softer than before. There's so much depth in them that I fear she already has me drowning in her ocean. She always guards herself but it's her eyes she can't control, hide, and I being myself always find her true emotions behind them.
Like right now. Her eyes are filled with love, fear, plea all for the sake of her bestfriend. A friend she loves so dearly but unaware of the fact about his true feelings for him.

"What why?" I ask.

"Why does it bother you who talks to me or meet me?"

I jerk my chin up as I say for the sake of saying something, "Rana likes you maybe more than-"

"No he doesn't." She moves away and a wave of displeasure fills my inside at the loss of her closeness.

"I don't know if you like acting like one or you're just dumb enough to not see it."

She shakes her head with a fake laugh, "Fine he likes me. What does it has to do with you?"

My jaw tightens as I take another puff before rubbing the burnt end of the stick and dropping it in the ashtray.

"Well Aarav?" She steps even closer.

I jerk her towards me wrapping my hands around her forearm leading her to come chest to chest with me making her stand on my shoes. And this tension be damned, because I fucking love her weight on me.

Her breath fans my chin while my eyes dig into her's before travelling down to her lips which parts ever so slightly. She copies me and I lean closer wanting to feel what I felt few days ago and cannot seem to get rid of that feeling.

Just as my lips touch her, exhaling she closes her eyes and steps back with a soft push against my chest.

"I won't be one of your conquests, Aarav. I. Won't." She distances herself and it takes everything in me to not pull her closer just to have her warmth seep into my cold and death blood.

That's what we were, fire and ice.

"How do you know if I see you as a conquest?" I say after calming some of my nerves.

"I don't know. I don't know anything. But there's one thing I know, I'm not just girl in the long run." I take a step towards her but she raises her hand at my face and I stop, "I know I say I won't come to you but pathetically I also do. But there will come a day, when I say I won't, and I won't. Until then, I'll keep fighting to prevent my heart from suffering. "

"Inaana, I-"

"No, Aarav. I don't deserve this hot-cold thing. I can't do that to myself."