Chapter 21- Inaana

I always thought I have a tendency of reading people well. Often I had a feeling, I understand them the moment I come across them or just by the first interaction. But then people being unpredictable they prove you wrong all the damn time. Like right now, as I keep pressing Rana to share something, give me anything to understand his weird behaviour, I feel like I don't really know all of him like I thought I did and that's definitely not fine with me.

"Ran, we talk. That's how it goes, right?" I am about to resign for another time and hang up but I decide to keep the call ongoing.

"We are talking." He says nonchalantly.

"The hell you are." My voice doesn't betray the anger stirring in me.

"Look how about I call you back?" He tries avoiding.

"Shut up. Shut. Up." I say out of rage before taking a long breath and calm myself down, just a little bit. "Look, here's what we gonna do. I'm gonna ask you one last time and you're going to speak, okay? Good, now let's start."

"Ina-"

"I haven't asked anything yet." I shoosh him.
When he doesn't say anything I continue, " Good boy. Now tell me what the hell is going on with you?"

I hear him take soft breaths from the other side of the line and after a few seconds he says, "You like him."

Not a question.

"No, I don't. And where did Aarav come from?" I ask out of genuine confusion.

"Right where I didn't mention his name but you caught it." He says rather calmly.

I take a deep breath, "Well lately you have been fighting with me a lot regarding him so I guess it's pretty obvious."

"Nope it wasn't. "

That's all? I grit my teeth as I say, "Rana, how about you meet me now?" I cut the bullshits.

"Your dad and br-"

"Don't worry. They are at the office. Pick me up, now." I demand.

"I-I- don't thi-I can't right now."

"Why?"

"I'm busy." He lies.

"Doing what exactly? You know what don't bother with another lie. You pick me up right now or else I am familiar with your address and I wouldn't mind banging the door until you open up."

"Why do you have to be so stubborn all the fucking time!" He sounds exasperated and little angry.

"You coming or not?" I don't bother with anything else.

"Be there in 10." He hangs up.

I wait for him sitting on my bed with one leg over the other for a few minutes when my phone rings. I answer as go for my shoes, "Be down in a minute."

The call ends as I tie my shoelaces before heading down. I go to the kitchen to inform Ruby when I see her sitting lethargically on a nearby chair while she holds her bump with one hand and her forehead with another.

"Ruby, what's wrong?" Her head tilts up upon my calling and she waves a hand in the air, the same one that had been on her forehead a second ago and gives me a weak smile.

"Oh it's nothing. Just got a little tired so I thought of sitting down for a bit."

I walk up to her and touch her forehead with the back of my hand, "Ruby, you have a little temperature and I don't think it's good for the baby. Why don't you stay at home for a few days?"

She looks up at me with a motherly look and a smile that always warms my heart, "Yeah? And who'll take care of you then?"

"I can do that myself. I'm not a kid anymore." I pout.