Chapter 28- Inaana

'There's a party today, business related. So, get ready accordingly.'

That's it. That's all my father said to me in the morning today while Ruby loaded our plates with breakfast. Two sentences, just two sentences but God, the heaviness it lead upon my heart. Since, lately Papa business includes someone very familiar who shouldn't have been more than a mere acquaintance, will be there too.
But what if he has some other business to attend to and he doesn't show up? What if he wasn't invited? Scratch that, Aarav is always invited in these kinds of gathering. But what if he doesn't actually attend and we would not have to share the same space and breathe the same air? That could happen. Right?

I keep running over this conversation in my head even as I get ready, since Kaira is one of the girls who know about my 'situationship' and is busy, leaving me with Ran, who wouldn't even return my texts.

After I dug out of him what was bothering him, that is Aarav's stupid word exchange to him, Ran has kept his distance. And that leads me to wonder, if our friendship was so weak that a couple words from a third person could bring so much difference between us. I almost dialed him this afternoon, but when I saw my last many calls unreturned, I dropped the idea.

I look myself in the mirror and let the thoughts drift away for a moment to appreciate myself in a black dress stopping a little above my knee, hugging my body not in the suffocating way, but rather it sits so perfectly that my curves are evident while it is not very tight at the same time. It has thin straps resting on either of my shoulders showing of my collarbone, completing it all with my straight hair held down and on my black. In short, I feel real confident and pretty enough to have a real smile as I climb down the stairs on walk onto my father and brother in between a conversation. They are both dressed in tuxedos.

Papa, being still angry with me as usual just nods at me and shuffle outside,not that if we were good, he would have bothered anyway and honestly I cannot bring myself to care about it enough. Harsh passes me a smile and wraps an arm around my shoulder as we head out.

When we arrive at the venue, we pass through a big rosery colored door giving way to a huge room with a chandelier hanging right at it's center. Two pair of stairs line up to make a way to the next floor while a smaller room with lesser to no people takes space on the right side of the entrance.
As we walk into the room, my family easily mingles with the crowd with me having to pass a smile or two once in a while. The wines go around the room like water and as I enjoy myself a second glass of champagne, getting bored with the conversation, I make my way through people to the smaller room. Doing so, I almost bump into someone but stop myself from falling face down last minute, my wine threatens to almost fall out of the glass. Although my feet twist a little, I don't fall. However my stilleto's strap come loose, but I thank above for saving myself some embarrassment.

I look down at the footwear, and contemplating how to redo it right, I look around the room to find a waiter near to put my glass on. Just as I see a waiter approaching towards me, I feel warm fingers brush my ankle. My breath literally breaks as my eyes find a very familiar and unforgettable man, on his knees, strapping my footwear. Since we are in the smaller room, there is likely less chances that people would take notice of our situation but that does not make impossible.

"Aarav, what are you doing?" I ask trying to regain my composure. God, why did he come? Could not he be sick today or something? Just thinking that, a bitter and unsettling feeling creeps inside my heart. Why do I care if he gets sick?

He stretches to his full height and pointing downwards he says, "That. That's what I was doing."
Dressed in a charcol suit with a beige colored shirt and no tie, Aarav looks like a modal straight out of a pamplet.

I look down and see the sandals right in place and when I look above, it is only to find him looking at me from head to toe.

"It's rude to stare, you know."

His eyes move from my face, to my eyes and rests on my lips, "Is it?"

All I manage is a nod since suddenly, it seems like the room has had a change of temperature as a warm spreads in my heart and my skin feels hot.

I gulp before I regain some senses. Snapping my fingers right infront of his face, I say, "Eyes up here, dude."

A spark passing in his eyes as he catches mine, "Dude? Seriously? Do I look like a dude to you?"

No. You look like a gentleman dressed in tailored suits who happens to take away my breaths just with a look. Oh! And you go around threatening people as well.

"Uh-huh, that's what you are. A dude, a guy." A smile plays on my lips while a scowl takes over his.

"What dude are we talking about?" A voice comes from behind me. Turning around, I find Khalid in a three piece maroon suit that hugs his body perfectly.

A smile pulls at my lip at his welcoming voice and playful tone. He offers me his hand which I readily take and say, "Good to see you, Khalid. And isn't Aarav a dude?"

His crinkled eyes move from me to Aarav and gives a nod, "Yup, definitely a dude."

"Shut up." Aarav growls and a laugh bursts out of me.

"You gotta accept, even your friend agrees." I turn to Aarav.

"Good thing, his agreement means shit to me then." Aarav says with an utter fake smile.

Khalid gasps as he dramatises, "Ouch dude, that hurts."

Another laugh bubbles through me while Aarav looks up at the ceiling and mutter with close eyes, "Oh for fuck's sake."

"Okay dude, just accept it for the sake of Inaana, yeah?" Khalid now rests his hand on an exasperated Aarav's shoulder who's eyes find me and my smiling face.

His eyes bore into mine and my smile freezes when he says, "Dude it is." With that, though my smile disappears but a dozen of butterflies fly from one part of my stomach to another.

God, what is this man doing with me.

"Mr. Malhotra!" A voice booms from behind us. We turn to see a man approaching us with a horrific expression while a different kind of chatter fills the room now.

"What is it-"

"Mr. Yash! Mr. Yash, he fell. He is having a heart attack!"

_________________________________________

Heys guys, I know I have not been updating and there's little irregularity but I swear, I'm trying my best. My motivation is lacking and the fact that I'm not reaching many audience and not getting even good number of votes is discouraging too. I really wanna grow people, and I really hope you guys start helping me progress. I might then start to stay motivated and write regularly.

And for those who are showering their love, you guyss fill my heart with so much gratitude to give💕💕💕💕