Fun and Games

A/N: A bit of the first book blended into the movie timeline with this one, along with some original Noah-side story. I hope you enjoy it, let me know in the comments!

I toy with the idea of texting Elle after I get out of the shower, but I know better than to push her. I've done all I can tonight, so I crawl into bed and try to go to sleep. I realize exactly how futile that idea is as soon as I close my eyes, because instantly I have a blur of images in my mind, all of Elle, like a slideshow. Elle's face when she took off the blindfold at the booth, her expression after our second kiss, her embarrassment when the crowd cheered, the look she gave me when I pulled away from her at the gazebo, then the one she gave me when she pulled away, the hope there after I told her I liked her, her smile after I kissed her again...

And then anger, pure Shelly fury, when the security guard ratted me out. Ugh! I'm such an idiot! Rolling over and burying my face in the pillow, I groan. Have I completely stuffed this up? She did seem less angry by the time I dropped her home, though. But what if she's realized that this, her and I, is a bad idea? What if she thought it was just fun, kissing me, but doesn't want anything else?

Do I want anything else? Anything more?

I roll onto my back again, staring at the ceiling. God, see this is just one reason I avoid relationships, all this uncertainty and angst. It's all so stupid.

Except it doesn't feel stupid, it feels important. When I stop trying to think and let myself remember how it felt when I kissed Elle, well then I can't keep the silly grin off my face. Instead, I lie there in the dark, remembering how good it felt, how right it felt. At some point, memory crosses over into dream, and I sleep.

I know Elle's avoiding me. She made some excuse about having to pack up the booth with Lee on Sunday and they dipped out on our usual Flynn-Evans lunch. I've sent her a couple of texts, and her responses have been short, like she's not sure what she should say. I guess she's basically been normal at school, we don't usually see each other much there anyway, but when I catch her eye in the hallway, she puts her head down and hurries away.

It's less than encouraging, but it's not like I really expected her to be different at school, in front of everyone anyway. For my part, I haven't made an effort to be different, either. Then, after school on Thursday, I hear chatter downstairs while I'm on my way to the kitchen. Reaching the top of the stairs, I'm surprised to see Elle.

"Oh, hey. Lee's not here."

"Yeah, your mom just said. She's gone to the store, by the way."

"Oh, right."

I have a bunch of questions I'd like to ask Elle, but right now what I really want to do is kiss her again. As I walk down the stairs to where she's still standing, it sinks in that nobody's home and I could, in fact, kiss her. Decision made. She seems frozen in place, but backing her up a couple of steps against the wall shocks her into a response. And what a response!

I'm a little breathless when we come up for air, but I stay very close, not wanting to be any further apart from her than absolutely necessary right now.

"I've been waiting to do that all week," I tell her quietly. It's the truth, I haven't been able to think about much else.

"Sorry to have kept you waiting."

"It was worth it," I shrug, watching the blush spread across her cheeks. "How long do you think we have before anyone comes back?"

"Hmm....half an hour, at least," she says with a laugh in her voice.

That's enough encouragement for me, and I kiss her quickly before taking her hand and leading her upstairs.

But instead of just kissing her again, I have to go and ask if she's going to Warren's party, and when she says yes, I can't help it, the switch flips in my mind. Going into protective mode, I tell her not to wear anything too revealing and of course Elle loses it at me. She just doesn't get it! All these guys have been saying shit about her ever since the party where she nearly went skinny dipping, and it just got worse after the carnival. That part is kinda my fault, and I hate it.