Inches

A/N - Consider this fair warning. There will be varying degrees of smut interspersed amongst the cuteness in the next few chapters, because they are young, in love, and at the beach house alone. As always, skip between the *** if you're not interested in those parts. Otherwise, please enjoy. But before we get to the fun part - cue the awkward conversation...

"Noah, I know I said before that I didn't support the two of you, but I see how happy Elle is now. How happy you make her. So I can't be against that."

"She makes me happy too, Mr Evans." I tell him earnestly. "More than anything."

Mike smiles then, almost indulgently. "I see that as well. Just...promise me one thing. Be careful, okay?"

I blanch and he hurries on.

"I, uh, I don't mean that. Well I do, I guess, that too. But what I really mean is, be careful with her heart. Elle's got a big heart, and she gives it away freely. She's an awful lot like her mother that way. I know you two want to make the most of the summer, but just be careful not to build up unrealistic expectations with her, okay? I don't want to see her disappointed when you go off to college."

"I have no intention of messing Elle around, Mr Evans."

"Well, that's good to hear, Noah."

Elle saves both of us then, arriving at the top of the stairs dragging her giant suitcase, a smaller duffel bag over one arm.

"Jeez, Ellie-bear," Mike grins. "What did you do, pack your whole wardrobe?"

"No," she says defensively, moving to start down the stairs.

I rush up to grab the case from her before she or it or both tumble down, catching Mike's eye roll as I turn around.

"Thanks," she huffs, walking down behind me to face her dad.

I loiter off to the side for a moment, before the atmosphere becomes too uncomfortable.

"Elle?" I ask. "Want to give me your keys? I'll put your suitcase in your car, okay?"

"Yeah, sure, thanks," she smiles, fishing her keys out of her back pocket and handing them to me.

"Mr Evans," I nod, by way of goodbye.

"See you soon, Noah," he says blandly, before I make my escape.

I might be a coward, but I have a feeling there are some things he wants to say to Elle that I'm better off not hearing. After putting her case in the trunk of her car, I lean against the driver's side door, waiting. It's only a couple of minutes before she comes out, eyebrows knitted together, bright spots of colour on her cheeks.

She's not meeting my eyes as she stops still in front of me, fidgeting with the strap on her bag.

"Elle?" I say quietly, waiting for her to look up at me.

"Yeah?"

"I love you. You know that, right?"

A small smile breaks across her face, erasing the frown.

"Yeah, I know. I love you, too."

"I can't wait to spend the rest of the summer with you," I smile, reaching out to take her free hand in mine.

"Me neither," she breathes.

"So what are we waiting for?" I smirk. "Follow me."

I open her door and wait while she gets inside, throwing her duffel on the passenger seat and fastening her seatbelt, before closing it and leaning in for a quick kiss.