Choices

A/N - Sprinkling of smut returns... skip between the *** if that's not for you. Don't worry, there's still plenty of cuteness too.

The next day is cloudy and windy, a rare day of bad weather for the beach. So, after a late breakfast, Lee and Rachel head home. I start reading a book, but when I look over at Elle, she's scrolling through her phone, a slight pout on her face, one leg kicking mindlessly where it's hanging over the arm of the chair she's occupying. Clearly, she's in a funk.

"What's up?"

"Nothing," she grumbles. "Just bored. I hate being at the beach and not being able to go to the beach."

"Okay..."

"It's fine, Noah. I'm just agitated."

"Clouds making you cranky?" I tease.

"Something like that."

Yeah, right. I'm afraid her thoughts are going to stray back to what she was thinking last night if I don't do something.

"Well, how about this?" I start, putting my book down and sitting up on the couch. "Today is your day. Elle's choice. You pick stuff for us to do, and that's what we'll do."

"Really?" she looks intrigued.

"Sure," I agree. "Obviously it's not really an outdoor activity day, but we could go to the movies, or go bowling. The arcade's probably swamped, so maybe not that. If you don't want to go out, we can watch old movies here, plus I'm pretty sure we have every board game ever invented in the rumpus room..."

"You'd play board games with me? You never play board games."

"That's because Lee always cheats," I frown. "And then he has a tantrum when I call him out on it. Do you remember the Monopoly debacle at Christmas a few years back? I caught him cheating and he went crazy, flipped the whole board over?"

"Do I remember? I had to physically separate you two."

"Well, there you go. It's not that I didn't want to play with you, it's that I couldn't stand playing with him."

Elle giggles, but then eyes me speculatively. "So, what you're saying is, you will play Monopoly with me?"

"Yes, Shelly," I grin. "I will play Monopoly with you, if that's what you want. Although, just so you know, there are other options. Better games to play... strip poker's always been a favorite of mine..."

"Ha! No," she laughs, and I pout slightly. "Don't worry," she smirks. "I promise you'll be rewarded for good behavior later. As long as you don't cheat."

"Scout's honor," I promise, thinking about how I'm definitely going to hold Elle to hers.

And so begins the great board game battle. Or at least that's what she's calling it. There's even a scoreboard marked up on the chalkboard in the rumpus room. Elle has raided the pantry, and I'm suspecting her own, private, up-until-now-hidden-junk-food-stash, laying out a huge amount of sugar and salt-laden snacks around us. But she's grinning from ear to ear, definitely no longer in a funk, and for that, I'm happy.

We decide that for the short games, we'll do best out of three. The long games, we'll only play once. Elle's saving Monopoly until last. "It's the game to end all games," she says. Fine with me. We start with Boggle - I win. Then Uno - Elle wins. Connect 4 - I win. Trouble - Elle wins. Guess who? - Elle wins. Clue - I win.

I'm lying stretched out on the floor when Elle looms over me, holding another box. I peer up at her and laugh. "Twister? You want to play Twister?"

"Why? You think you can beat me?" she taunts.