Hurts (Book)

A/N - So, this is the first of the dual chapters - the version of events from the book, just from Noah's POV. The interactions that happen between Elle and Noah are pretty much as written in Going the Distance, with minor changes for consistency (e.g. Amanda is Chloe and Levi is Marco). The next chapter will be in line with the movie, and so forth... I know this isn't a happy stage in their story, but the sooner we get through this part, the sooner we can move on to some good stuff. Trust me, I can't wait, either. Jo x

My birthday comes and goes, a gift from Elle and a care package from home the only real indication that it's not just any other regular day. I don't make a big deal out of it with my friends at school. I know if I did, Chloe would make a fuss and I don't really feel in the right mood for that at the moment, even if I am trying to be less of an Eeyore, as she puts it. 

Trying seems to be my middle name right now. I'm trying to do better in my classes, trying to be less of a drag when I'm around my friends, and trying to make more of an effort to talk with Elle. I can't help thinking it would be easier if I could just see her in person, instead of in a video call. We're always better face-to-face. Thanksgiving is still weeks away, and I'm not sure I can keep pretending like things aren't weird between us until then.

The Gods seem to have heard my prayers, though, because I found out today that all my classes have been cancelled for next Monday. We have a bye this week for football, too, so I could actually fly home on Friday, and fly back again on Monday... that's doable. I check the flight availability and then call home, explaining my plan to Mom.

"Oh, honey, that's a great idea," she enthuses. "I can't wait to see you! We have the Peterson's twentieth anniversary party on Friday night, so we won't be here when you get in." Mom pauses, and when she speaks again, I can picture the knowing smile on her face. "But then, I don't suppose you'll mind having the house to yourself..."

"I'll manage. I'll just get a cab from the airport and drop my bag off before heading to Elle's. I want to surprise her."

"Aww, she's going to be so glad to see you."

"I hope so. Things haven't been great lately."

"This long distance thing is tough on both of you, hon. Spending some time together definitely won't hurt."

"That's the idea."

I book my flights while Mom fills me in on all the latest family news, and by the time I hang up, I'm feeling a lot happier about everything. Two days and I'll be in LA, knocking on Elle's front door. I catch up with Chloe after Chemistry class the next day, and she's maybe even happier than I am about my spur of the moment decision to go home for the weekend.

"Oh, that's brilliant!" she grins, gripping my shoulder. "Elle's going to be blown away when you just show up."

"I hope so, Clo."

"Ugh, how could she not be? It's the most romantic thing I've ever heard!"

"Shut up," I chuckle, shoving her away lightly. "You need to get out more."

"Pfft," she scoffs. "If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black."

"Whatever. I go out plenty."

Chloe rolls her eyes. "Remind me again, did I have to literally drag you out of your room last week?"

"Yeah, fine. Point taken. I'm working on it, okay?"

"Sure, sure. Anyway, the fact is, this is an excellent plan."

"Thank you."

"Does this mean you might actually get the chance to talk to Elle? About everything?"