Problems

Elle and I break apart, both of us looking at Lee in shock, before Elle jumps up, panicked.

"Lee, I can explain."

"Unbelievable," he says, as I move to stand behind Elle. I'm not sure if the look on his face is more angry or disappointed. He turns and flees out the door as Elle calls after him.

"Wait, no. Lee. Lee, wait. Wait."

She moves to follow him and I try to go with her, but she turns on me, pointing at my chest. "Noah, Stay here, please. Let me handle this."

I stop still and watch her run out the door after Lee. I'm torn between doing as she asked and knowing that Lee will do everything he can to convince her to break things off with me. In the end, I'm too selfish to let that happen and I follow after them, up the side of the house, out onto the front lawn.

When I catch up, they're in a standoff, Lee yelling at Elle.

"Seems like I was never meant to find out at all, doesn't it, Elle?"

"Hey, lay off her, Lee. It's not like it's all Elle's fault."

He turns his glare on me, finger coming up to point at me again. "You! Don't even get me started on you, okay? Telling other guys to stay away from Elle to protect her. And there you are, treating her like some slut that you picked up at the club."

"You have no idea what you're talking about," I grind out.

"So you're trying to tell me you two have not slept together?" Lee looks from me to Elle and she withers under his gaze. Both of us stay quiet, not denying it.

"I knew it. So you really just have been fucking my brother and lying to me."

"No," Elle whispers, tears forming.

"Okay, Lee. That is enough." He can say what he likes to me, but I won't stand for him talking to Elle like that.

"No, it's not enough! She has no clue what she's got herself into with you!"

"This is bullshit. You're acting like a hurt little bitch!"

Lee takes a swing at me, connecting solidly with my jaw and lunging forward. I'm able to grab him and push him to the ground, but we struggle, him trying to lash out again.

I vaguely hear Elle yelling behind us, telling me to get off him, but he needs to calm down first.

"Stop!" I yell, grabbing his arms and pinning them to the ground. "Calm down!"

Lee's struggling, his eyes closed in rage, and I'm still trying to get through to him.

"That is enough! Calm down! I'm not letting you go until you chill out!"

"Get off of me!" He spits back, staring up at me.

"Chill out!"

"Get off!"

I hear Elle again, screaming. "Get off him! Get off!"

"Please!" I yell as Lee closes his eyes again, tears leaking from the corners. "Stop!" I push his arms down once more and he submits, breathing heavily. I jump up, letting his arms go and holding out a hand to pull him up off the ground, but he slaps it away. When he does get up, he ignores me, looking at Elle, who's crying. Her eyes are pleading with him to understand and he's looking at her with something close to hate.

He turns and runs to the driveway, Elle screaming after him. "Please. Please, Lee!" She's sprinting after him, begging him to stop. "Stop, Lee! Please!" Her voice sounds completely heartbroken, and it makes me pause. I wait, watching as Lee jumps into his car, and they exchange words. I don't go down there until he turns on the ignition and drives away, Elle staring after him. She's still looking away, down the empty street, when I get to her.