Tracks

I'm finally off the bench and determined to show Coach and the rest of my team that I deserve more game time than I've been getting. Today's match up against Cornell is a tough one, and we've been going back and forth with them, trading off for the lead. There's a little voice inside my head that keeps telling me "don't blow this" but I have to shut it out and focus on the next play, on the things I can control. I have a good rhythm going with one of our running backs and we're steadily finding holes in our opponent's defense.

By the time the buzzer sounds, we've managed to hold them off and put on some extra points, beating them 29-22. Boyle and Cameron rush up to me, elated, and even though there's a smile on my own face, it's one of relief that I didn't stuff it up more so than excitement that we won. I don't have too much time to examine that feeling, though. As we walk back towards the bench, a voice reaches my ears over the noise of the crowd.

"Noah Flynn!!!"

Looking up into the stands, I scan the faces, searching for the one that matches that voice. When I do spot Chloe, my smile grows a little wider. She's standing on her seat, clapping wildly, a massive grin on her face. I give her a wave, then motion for her to come down towards the barricade. Slipping easily through the crowd, she's soon leaning over the railing.

"You made it."

"I did! And you won the game!"

"Well, not me, personally," I chuckle, tucking my helmet under my arm. "But, yeah, we got the win."

"You're too modest. I mean, I know nothing about football, but it looked to me like you did a good job."

I snort with laughter. "That's probably the first time anyone's ever called me modest."

"Well, in this case it's true. So, do you have some caveman ritual to perform together now?" she asks, gesturing towards the rest of the team. "Or can you come for a drink? I brought some friends with me."

"No rituals, no, unless you count showering," I grin. "But we usually all end up at Charlie's."

"Splendid. We'll probably see you there, then."

"Sure," I nod. "Sounds good."

She gives me a small wave and turns to walk back up the stairs, but I find myself calling after her.

"Hey, Chloe?"

She turns at the sound of her name, eyebrows raised in question.

"Thanks. For coming to watch the game, I mean."

Her expression is thoughtful for a second before that warm smile returns.

"You're welcome, Noah."

With a nod, I join the rest of the team and we head up the tunnel to the locker room.

The bar is crowded by the time we all get there, the mood celebratory, and I'm about halfway through my first drink before I manage to track Chloe down, at a table with her friends. Catching her eye, I nod, and she beckons me over.

"Hey," I smile, walking over to where they're gathered around.

"Hey, yourself," she smiles, catching me off-guard as she wraps me in a quick hug before turning to face the group. "So, introductions. Everyone, this is Noah Flynn, the poor sad soul who has the misfortune of being my lab partner in Organic Chem this semester, and the reason I dragged you all to the game today." This description is met with laughter from the group, and Chloe continues. "Noah, this is my roommate Emily, and my sweet, darling, friends Aiden, Caleb, Joseph and Dylan." She makes a face. "Actually, they are neither sweet nor darling, but they are my friends."