Secrets

A/N: Some light mature content in this chapter, skip between the ***, if that's not for you.

Sitting at the Hollywood sign, we're both quiet, taking in the view. There's a reason this has been my hideaway ever since I found it a couple of years ago. Up here, there's none of the chaos of the city, it all feels so far away. The lights are spread out below us like a carpet, stretching into the distance. It's peaceful, but my thoughts aren't. I have no idea how to start this conversation with Elle. I'm hopeless at this stuff. Fortunately, Elle decides to needle me and that breaks the ice.

"How many girls have you made out with in this spot?"

"I only come here alone."

Elle looks at me in surprise and I look her in the eye as I keep talking.

"Until now."

"Oh, you are good!" Elle scoffs, making me smile. "That sounds so great when you say it. You must know that, right?"

I give her a small shake of my head, but yeah, okay, that was probably a little cheesy.

Elle shakes her head and looks away from me. "Such a player."

I stay silent and wait for her to get whatever's going on in that head of hers out in the open.

Looking back at me, she goes on. "You haven't changed. I mean, what is the difference between what just happened..."

That's enough. "The difference is you."

"You're crazy."

"I'm crazy about you, Elle."

It's the truth, even if it does sound like a line, and I see her small smile before she turns away again. That makes me smile, but I try to keep my expression neutral when she looks back at me.

"Okay. Okay. Here's how this is gonna work."

I'm all ears. As long as she wants this to work, I'm in.

"Rules. Number one: No more fighting."

"Done." Easy. Maybe. I could do it for her.

Elle looks surprised that I agreed so quickly, but keeps going.

"Number two: No more telling me what to do."

"Cross my heart." If we're together, she won't be in any risky situations, so I won't need to anyway.

"And number three: If we do this, nobody can know. Okay? At least until I figure out a way to tell Lee. It has to be that way."

That kind of sucks, but I get it. Lee's gonna hate this and we need to make sure there's something here worth fighting for. I don't want to think about all that yet, so I try to lighten the mood.

"You know, you're cute when you're bossy."

"I'm serious, Noah."

"So am I," I grin, because she is. "You're really, really cute!"

I can't help but chuckle at Shelly's face, but she sobers quickly and so do I. Her expression turns almost pained, and right now I just want to make her feel better about this.

"Promise?" Her eyes are pleading with me to understand and that's the end of me.

"Hey," I say so softly it's almost a whisper. "I promise."

Elle gives me a small smile that I return, and I can only stare into her eyes for so long before giving in to the need to kiss her. The first kiss is short and sweet, but the feeling... Maybe it's all the tension from what happened at the party and that near-silent car ride earlier, maybe it's the fact that Elle just agreed to be with me... I guess it's all of that, and the fact that it's Elle. Nothing feels as good as this. Judging by the look in her eyes, she feels the same way.