Gasps

The first glimpse of Elle at the airport makes me happy inside like nothing has since... well, our last day at the beach house, if I'm honest. Everything about moving to Boston and starting school has been so much harder than I thought it would be. I really haven't been doing so great. But Elle's smiling face has me grinning like an idiot. God, I've missed her.

The sign I'm holding with her name has the message "I missed you more" on the back. It doesn't just mean that I missed Elle more than she missed me, it means I missed her more than I ever imagined possible. And now that I have her back in my arms again, I don't want to think about letting her go for a long, long, time. I'm glad I decided we should take a cab back from the airport, because it means I don't have to let go of her for even a second.

After paying the driver and getting Elle's suitcase out of the trunk, I spread my arms open wide.

"Sooo, this is it. Welcome to Harvard."

Elle says nothing, looking around at all the buildings.

"What do you think?" I press.

"It's amazing," she almost whispers. "I can't believe I'm actually here."

"Me neither," I grin, putting my arms back around her, as if the tangible reminder will help this situation actually seem real. "Come on, let's go drop your bag off at my dorm, and then I'll give you the tour."

"Okay," Elle says excitedly, grabbing a hold of my hand as we start walking.

It's a quick walk from the drop off point to my dorm, and we're soon standing in front of the imposing red brick building, Elle craning her neck to look up at it.

"Let me just take your bag upstairs, okay? I'll be back in a minute."

"Noah, I-- why do I have to wait here? I want to see your dorm."

"Elle," I step back into her, holding her face in one hand. "I'm trying to show some self-restraint here, okay? Believe me when I say I want you in my room. But once you're there, I won't want to leave for a very, very, long time. Just humor me, okay? Let me drop your bag off, and then I'll show you around, and take you to dinner." Leaning in, I drop my voice lower again. "And after dinner, we'll come back here and I'll take you upstairs. That much I promise. Okay?"

Elle's voice is breathy when she responds. "Okay."

Smirking, I back away again. "Back soon, Shelly."

Elle and I walk around campus, hand in hand, for the rest of the afternoon. She seems interested in seeing firsthand all the places I've told her about during our calls over the last couple of months. From the Yard, to the library, to the football stadium, and the coffee shop I'm usually sitting in when I text her good morning. From the dining hall, to my lecture theatres, Elle's keen to see it all.

Eventually, it starts to get dark, and I take her to a place close to campus for dinner. It feels so normal and so strange at the same time, having her here, with me. I've missed Elle a lot since I left LA, but it's kind of weird seeing her in Cambridge. In my mind, I always picture her at the beach, with her hair lit by the sunshine. But here, her hair is darker, her eyes brighter by comparison.

I love the way her gaze travels over everything, taking it all in, a small smile on her face. Elle seems to really like it at Harvard and I wonder again, if maybe she might really want to come east for school. My mind starts to wander, thinking of what it could be like next year, the two of us spending weekends in the city together. Scouring all the backstreets, finding out of the way bookshops, Elle searching every bakery for the perfect cupcake to go with her coffee. Having Elle here lets me picture her, picture us, everywhere.