Laughs

A/N: Well, now I REALLY need to apologise for my absence. It's been far, far too long between chapters and I won't be surprised if nobody's still reading my books. The real world has this awful habit of intruding on my writing time, in the form of work, having family going through quite serious medical treatments and a virus or two myself. Quite frankly, it's been a lot. I've had all these drafts sitting unfinished or unedited for months now, but I'm slowly starting to get them to the point where I'm happy to press publish and send them out to whoever still wants to see them. As always, I hope you enjoy this chapter and I hope it gives you a small reprieve from whatever the world is throwing at you right now too. Love always, Jo xx

I sleep like the dead. Actually, that sounds awful, I don't know how that can be a good thing. I sleep so well with Elle beside me, curled around me really. I always sleep better when she's with me, not just because of what we get up to before we eventually fall asleep either, because even if we don't fool around I sleep soundly with her. It's hard to explain, but there's always this part of me that just doesn't feel quite right when we're apart. Most of the time I can ignore it, going about my days like a part of me isn't missing, like I haven't left my heart 3000 miles away. 

But late at night, when it's dark and quiet and I'm alone, that missing piece seems to grow unbearably large.

So yeah, when I don't have to miss Elle, when she's right here beside me, I feel like I can finally, completely relax. And sleep. Maybe it's the same for her, because when I do eventually wake up, she's still out cold, her cheek resting on my chest, arm stretched across my stomach, hugging me like I'm her favorite childhood teddy bear. That thought makes me grin a little, because in a weird way, maybe I kind of am.

Without disturbing Elle, I snake an arm across to the nightstand to grab my phone, rolling my eyes when I see a stream of messages from Chloe. She and Lee have already grabbed breakfast, which makes sense because it's almost 11:00, and it seems like she's taking him on some kind of campus/Cambridge tour. Once again, I thank God for my best friend, because her occupying Lee means I don't have to. I love my brother and all, but honestly I love Elle more, and the idea of us having to leave my room or even my bed holds exactly zero appeal right now.

We do eventually make it out of my bed and my room, because a hangry Elle is not someone to be messed with, and we spend the afternoon wandering around Cambridge. Our walk is a little less like a tour and a little more like an excuse to find partially hidden places to make out though. Not that I'm complaining. At all. And between the making out, I take full advantage of getting to watch Elle.

Not like in a creepy way, just in an admiring, I-can't-believe-I-haven't-seen-her-beautiful-face-in-person-for-so-long kind of way. We're strolling down the walkway that runs along the riverside, Elle's small hand warm in mine, and her chin is tipped up a little so the spring sun catches her cheeks. Fuck, she kills me and she doesn't even know it. Slowing to a stop, I tug on her hand so she turns to face me, those bright blue eyes meeting mine in question.

"What?" she grins.

With a half-smile of my own, I shake my head.

"I just love you, Shell. I love you being here. With me."

Elle's lips twist to the side briefly before practically hurls herself into my arms, clasping her hands around my neck to pull me down to kiss her again. Which I do, of course, half-lifting her so that we can close the distance. Her lips are soft but demanding, like always, but our kiss is short, ended too quickly by her giggling.

"What?" I huff, unable to keep the smile off my face.

"You're kind of a marshmallow, you know that, right?"