Seems (Movie)

The next morning, I dodge the few questions Mom throws my way, giving some vague, non-committal responses about things not being great between Elle and I right now. Lucky for me, my mom's too busy with preparing the usual Thanksgiving feast to spend any time grilling me for more details. Lee seems to be giving me the cold shoulder, but that's probably because I'm still refusing to contact Elle. Whatever. If she really wanted to talk, she could've come to the house, or even called.

Instead, she's just firing off sporadic text messages, asking me to call her when I can, to meet up and talk. Well, I can't. I just can't. Not today. After helping Dad set up outside, I make my escape, driving around pretty much aimlessly until it's time to go get Chloe from the airport. The traffic's awful as always, but when I eventually get there, I park the car and wander into the terminal, heading to the arrivals hall.

Looking up at the massive information board, I scan the list of incoming flights and see that the one from Boston has landed. Thank God. I could really use my friend right now, even if this wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I invited here to come. Chloe's face splits into her usual big smile when she spots me standing near the bottom of the escalator, and I attempt one in return. She bounces over and wraps her arms around my neck, laughing.

"Hello, stranger."

"Hey, welcome to LA," I say, returning the hug maybe a touch more fiercely than I normally would.

Chloe doesn't say anything, she just lets me cling into her for a few beats, before I release her. She leans back, searching my face, a frown creasing her brow.

"What the hell happened?"

Having a female best friend is a double-edged sword. Her intuition has often been a blessing during the last couple of months, but at this particular moment it's more of a curse, and I shake my head.

"I really don't want to talk about it right now, Clo. Let's just say my surprise didn't go as planned and now I'm not sure if Elle will even be there today."

"Oh, no," she pouts. "I'm sure whatever's happened, you'll be able to sort it out. We're here for a few days anyway."

Shrugging, I take Chloe's bag from her. "Yeah, I guess. Come on, my folks are dying to see you."

In truth, I don't think 'sorting it out' is on the cards. I spot Mike's Jeep in the driveway when we arrive at the house and try not to stiffen at the thought that Elle could be inside after all. She wouldn't stay home by herself, right? Surely not. I'm torn between wishing she would stay away and hoping she hasn't.

"We're back!" I call out as we walk into the entry hall.

"Hey!" Dad grins past me towards Chloe as I wheel her bag in. "Ah, Chloe! Good to finally meet you."

"Oh, well, it's lovely to meet you too," she smiles, stepping into his offered hug.

"Yeah. Come inside." Dad gestures her in while I stand by, avoiding looking down at who might or might not already be here.

"Ooh, wow!" Chloe says, looking out at the view through the glass wall at the back of the house as she walks up to the railing. My pasted on smile drops when she draws my attention downstairs. "Oh, and Elle, you are here!"

"Yeah, and so are you."

Elle looks surprised, and I guess, why wouldn't she be? Asking Chloe to come here for Thanksgiving was a last minute decision after her other plans fell through. I'd planned on telling Elle all about it yesterday, but... well, I never got the chance.

Chloe chuckles, and I feel bad that I haven't told her the whole story yet. "Noah said he wasn't sure that you would be."

Elle's surprise gets an edge to it. "Really? Is that what he said?"