Moods

A/N: I realise that this part of the story isn't everyone's favourite, but the last chapter received the lowest number of votes so far 😔. Your votes and comments provide great encouragement to keep writing, so please leave one if you're still enjoying reading this story. Thx, Jo.

Awake

Angry

Disappointed

Lonely

Miserable

Busy

So fucking busy

Panicked

Overwhelmed

Tired

So fucking tired

Asleep

This is what the days following Elle's departure look like, my mood cycling through every negative emotion. I'm drowning in self-pity and self-doubt and I hate it. I hate everything about the situation I'm in right now. I have no time for my friends or the inclination to do anything social anyway. I'm still in catch up mode, making up for the time I spent away from my books over the weekend.

Maybe I shouldn't have bothered. The thought pops into my head out of nowhere, but I dismiss it even faster. No matter how things ended up before Elle left, I can't say that I regret a single second of her being here, of getting to spend that time with her. I just don't get what happened. I know she saw the messages on my phone between me and Chloe, but is that really enough to make her react that badly?

It just doesn't make any sense.

Except, maybe it does. Did Elle ever really trust me or think this was going to work out? Ugh. I'm driving myself nuts with all these questions, all this back and forth in my mind. I don't know what Elle was thinking when she left, what she thought about the messages, what she thinks about me. I'm just guessing and it's pointless. We haven't spoken since she went back to LA, not that I haven't wanted to.

I text her to make sure she got home safe and she responded with the bare minimum amount of detail. I asked if I could call her and she said it wasn't a good time, that she'd call me later. Except she didn't and now it's been three days. I wanted to give her some space, some time to cool down, but then I've been busy as well and yeah, here we are. I could have just called, but I'm also not sure I want to hear what she has to say. What if she tells me that's it, that it's over?

But she wouldn't, right? Not over some text messages that absolutely shouldn't be taken as anything more than what they are, a stream of nonsense between two friends. And now I'm back where I was before, back to wondering. This really is pointless. I should just call her and ask why she got so upset. Looking at the time, she'll definitely be home from school by now, so there's really nothing stopping me from calling. Nothing except my own worst fears, of course.

Screw it.

I press call, then put my phone to my ear to listen to it ring, wondering if Elle will answer or let me go to voicemail. Either of those options would be better than her outright declining the call, I guess. I can't stand still so I wander around the deserted common room, waiting. Suddenly, I'm put out of my misery when her voice appears on the other end of the line, sounding quiet, almost like a sigh.

"Hey."

I'm relieved she answered, but at the same time, her tone makes it clear that she's obviously not all that happy to be talking to me.

"Hey. Um. I figured that we should talk."

There's no point pretending like everything's okay and hoping we can just move on, so I plow on with the question that's been swirling around my head since she walked out the door.