Memories

As it turns out, it hasn't been that hard for Elle and I to find time to be together. Because Sundays are already taken up by our weekly Flynn-Evans lunch, Lee pretty much spends every Saturday with Rachel. Which means I get to spend most Saturdays with Elle. Her dad leaves their house to take Brad to baseball, and I generally show up ten minutes later to pick her up. Sometimes we don't leave the house right away, though...

Contrary to popular opinion, I'm not an idiot. I know Elle and I jumped a bunch of steps in our relationship that night at the Hollywood sign. But I'm doing my best to fill in the blanks, to make sure she knows that I'm not just using her. I want Elle to have every experience. I want her to have fun - with me. Because she's one of the most fun people to be around, she makes me smile and laugh more than anything. And I want to be that for her, too.

I don't worry about looking stupid in front of her, because she's known me forever. She remembers every dumb costume I wore for Halloween as a kid, and I know all the times her and Lee's wild schemes got them into trouble. We never run out of things to talk or tease each other about, because there's just so...much between us already. We spend hours just hanging out, walking along the beach, or acting like idiots in random parks we find while we're out riding the bike.

Elle is over her distrust of my motorcycle now, in fact I think she secretly loves it. Today I'm taking her on a ride up the coast, and if she doesn't already love the bike, I'm confident she will by the end of the day. We leave her house in the morning like normal, knowing we have extra time together because Brad's baseball team is going out for pizza after their game. The breeze is cool and Elle's wrapped tightly around me, her hands under my jacket like normal, her head pressed against the middle of my back.

I slow right down as we get to a small seaside town, taking in the sights before parking near the pier. We wander along to the very end, looking below for fish, then trying to spot seals or dolphins. With the sun shining, it's the perfect place to have lunch, and when Elle tries to steal my fries, I pretend to be mad, swatting at her hand. Of course she sees right through my fake angry expression, and turns it into a game. But I have my own tricks, too, and easily reach out with one arm to tickle that spot on her ribs I know drives her insane.

And that's how Shelly nearly ends up on the ground, gasping for air around her giggles. If I could bottle that moment and keep it with me forever, I would, but I settle for storing away the memory instead. After lunch we walk around the town, looking in all the shops, before finding what Elle really wants - ice cream. Giant cones in hand, we sit under a tree in the park in front of the beach and talk about anything and everything, except me maybe moving 3,000 miles away in a few month's time.

"You've got a little chocolate...just there," I say to Elle when I'm done, gesturing near the corner of her mouth.

"Oh, do I?" she sticks her tongue out to the side, trying to lick it off, and inspiration strikes.

"Here, let me," I shake my head and lean towards her like I'm going to wipe it, but right at the last moment I veer off and kiss her instead, taking her by surprise.

"Did that make it better, or worse?" Elle giggles.

"Kind of worse," I chuckle.

"I see..." is all she says before smooshing the last of her ice cream into my nose.

In my shock, Elle's up and running away from me before I can grab her, but I quickly jump up to give chase, catching and play-tackling her to the grass, holding most of my bodyweight off her on my forearms.

"That was a bad idea, Shelly," I growl, knowing that some of the edge is likely lost with me looking ridiculous right now. I don't give her the chance to make any wisecracks, instead rubbing my nose on hers, dragging ice cream all over her face in the process.