~thirty two~

TW-// rape & death

"Mum, I'm sorry, I stopped calling
Don't know what the hell I was caught in
Can't stop dreaming of chandeliers
And your voice is all I hear"

~Mum, Luke Hemmings

Alena's POV 
(10 years ago)

25 November 20XX

Kiss her you fool. Just kiss her already.

I chant in my mind continuously for the guy to kiss the girl he is so much in love with. They have this intense tension between them, none of them trying to make a move to initiate something bigger and it's getting me so much frustrated that I want to rip off my hair.

"Alena are you still reading that romance novel?" I can barely hear my mom call after me as I am so engrossed into the book in my hand.

"Yes, mumma." My reply is short and sharp, not even looking up from my book to answer. I continue reading my book happily as the main guy character pulls the girl closer to her by her waist.

It's happening. Yes, oh my god, they are gonna kiss.

I am such a weird sucker for romance novels.

I rest my head on my bed pillow and raise my hands higher making the sunlight fall on the pages of the book making it look luminous. I hold my book tighter and continue reading it.

A happy smile forms on my lips as I read the lines of them almost touching their lips.

"Then there was a gunshot and it pierced right through Marionette's chest and blood started gushing out of her chest and spilling onto Edmund's shirt. His eyes go wide as Marionette's body goes limp and she falls onto the ground with a thud."

"WHAT IN THE ACTUAL F-" I gasp so loud with my eyes wide in absolute shock as this is the worst plot twist of the story.

"Language, Alena," mom says. I shut my book dramatically and look towards my mom, who is picking up my laundry from my room.

I am at a total loss of words.

"But they were just kissing- and now oh my god she got shot, she is- holy, dying," I say out in disbelief as I stutter out random words in disappointment.

Usually every inconvenience my my life hurts. But the death of a main character in a romance novel hurts more.

I tug hard on my single braid that the hair tie slips out of it and my hair falls open. I throw the book on the bed and sit up straight. My back and neck hurts from the amount of time I have been laying in that same position reading the romance novel that just turned into my worst nightmare.

"I hate plot twists," I seethe out in anger. Mom laughs, giving me a look of pity.

"Oh honey, that's what makes a book interesting and gripping," she says simply as if everything is as simple as said.

"I don't want to grip it anymore! There are like 200 pages more? What else is left in it? Like, the guy will find a new girl? Something like that? Ugh I hate it, I hate it. I want him to be with her only, this is so frustrating oh my god, I hate this. This is anything but interesting. Why can't everything be 'happily ever after'?" I rant out questioning further as I am still disappointed by the turn the hideous book took.

"Now where's the fun in that?" She grins at me, hiding the laugh that's forming on her lips from my frustration. She is clearly having fun watching me like this. She places the laundry basket on the floor and walks towards me. I scoot a bit to give her space to sit on my twin sized bed.