Chapter 3

Chapter Three

"Aren't you nervous to finally meet one of the Inquisitors?" Alexis asked, sitting at Briar's desk set against the black wall of her living quarters. Alexis turned the chair to face her commander as she looked at herself in the mirror, her eyes reading over every inch of her face.

Briar's green eyes were bloodshot from lack of sleep. Her cheek bones were as sharp as her set jaw. Briar's haircut, cut in a man's crew cut style (much to the chagrin of the Admiral), was laying gently on the top of her head. Too much pomade and she would regret it.

She moved away from the mirror in her bathroom, turning to face Alexis. The dark haired woman with the tight bun was sitting with her legs crossed at her knees, smirking at her.

"Why would I be nervous? I'm the commander. I don't get nervous anymore."

"What if she's hot?" A playful smirk spread across Alexis's face as Briar froze in her tracks, her hand grasping her uniform pants she had picked up from the floor.

"You think I'm going to fall in love with an Inquisitor? You're ridiculous. Some don't even take their masks off!" Briar could feel her cheeks reddening just the same. Her heart hammering as she thought about how dominant the Inquisitors probably were.

Alexis stood, chuckling as she walked into the modern kitchen filled with black appliances. She began making herself coffee as Briar finished dressing in her uniform.

"Also, I never said anything about falling in love. We both know you'd rather fuck her once then leave."

Briar sighed, shutting her eyes as she thought about the numerous women she had been with throughout her years.

"We don't even know if they're sending a woman. Just shut up about it. This is important. The Empire-"

"Commander Adair, you're needed in the war room."

Briar cut her eyes to Alexis as she took the first sip of her freshly made coffee, opening her wide eyes to give Briar a saddened look.

"Your living quarters are better than mine. Can I stay here until you get back?" Alexis was begging. She had no shame in it when she knew Briar would give in. The two were never an item. That never stopped Alexis from being fiercely loyal to her.

"Fine. I'm leaving." Briar turned on her heels, pulling the helmet over her head as the door slid open and shut behind her with a hiss. She followed the path down to the lift, pressing the floor button she desired.

She stepped out, turning down two more hallways before she scanned her key card and entered the war room. Admiral Versio was standing by the holographic map of the galaxy, a person in a black cape speaking with him.

Even from a distance, Briar could tell the person was female. Their slender body was not hidden by their black uniform. Her mask was black with a red visor. She lifted her head to acknowledge the new occupant in the room.

"Ah, Second Sister, this is Commander Adair of the Inferno Squad. She's the one you need to be speaking to."

"Then you no longer need to be in the room, Admiral Versio." The Admiral wasn't able to hide his shocked expression, nodding curtly before quickly exiting the room. The women were left alone, the Second Sister placing both hands on the table.

"Come, Commander, we have much to discuss." Briar couldn't place the woman's accent. It was distorted from her helmet, but the way she was pronouncing things stuck out even then.

Briar was running all of the planets she had been to and their various accents through her head, almost completely missing when the Second Sister exited the war room, calling out for her to follow. Briar left the room, just catching sight of the Second Sister's cape flowing around a corner. She picked up her pace, catching up to the woman as they stepped into the main hangar of the base.