Chapter 5

Chapter Five

"Alright team, we leave in 30." Briar stood at the front of the war room, her helmet wedged between her arm as she stared at Alexis and Lucius. The adrenalin pumping through her bloodstream wouldn't allow the looming feeling of guilt set in. But, it was like a constant reminder in the back of her head. Even though she couldn't feel it emotionally, the thought hung over her like a cloud.

"Do not go on that mission."

The Second Sister's warning had been a mantra for the past three days. She wanted to trust the woman, but Briar knew that the Inquisitor had her own intentions with the warning. Plus, Briar couldn't pass up the mission, it would look badly on her character. Admiral Versio would think she was sympathizing with the Rebels.

"Shouldn't you be gearing up? You're set to leave soon." Alexis and Lucius had vanished, Admiral Versio staring at her in his white uniform with that ridiculous hat. Irritation burned through her body as he stood with his shoulders squared.

Briar mirrored her superiors stance, a vile taste filling her mouth as she looked at the man who had ruined her. But also followed orders and given her the chance of a lifetime. He had followed Iden's request for Death Trooper Adair to become the new Commander of the Inferno Squad.

"Yes, well, Iden and I both knew I'm very fast at some things." Briar spit out a topic the Admiral had barred her from talking about since the three years she had led the team. A look of pure disgust overtook his face, slamming his hand on the holo table. The image of the galaxy jumped before steadying itself. Briar wasn't scared, he couldn't hurt her. Iden already had. Briar had refused to believe it at first, that Iden had defected, but she'd been gone for so long.

"Do NOT speak of my daughter in that-"

"Tell me why we're going on the mission today." Briar interrupted his angry rant, his face turning red as he shook softly.

"You have NO right asking questions. Just do the fucking mission and never speak of her again." Admiral Versio lost his cool, shoving the heavy table forward until it rammed into her hip. Briar knew there would be a bruise there. Her instinct was to hold the area, offer some sort of comfort. But, her pride wouldn't let her eyes leave the Admiral's as he exited the room.

Alexis entered the room in a hurry, Briar gathering what was left of her pride from the floor.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Why did you bring up Iden?" Alexis was in front of her before she could create some distance between them, grabbing onto her throbbing hip to apply pressure. Briar didn't stop her, only let out a long sigh.

"Because I still love her, Alexis. Even when she defected and married a man. Had a KID?! If I stood in a room with her, looking at her, into those eyes. I'd still find a hole in my heart that she could fill." Tears threatened to spill from Briar's eyes, bringing her eyes up to the ceiling to stop them.

She had buried Iden and their love before fully coming to terms with it. Now those feelings were digging their way out. Every time she looked at the Admiral, she could see Iden's eyes.

Alexis lifted her other hand, cupping Briar's cheek. "I know you're this badass commander now, but you still have feelings. You're still allowed to be upset about things. We can talk about Iden later, okay? We need to leave."

Briar was pulled forward, slipping her helmet on to hide the single tear that had slipped over her eyelid. "You're right. Thank you, Alexis." Briar placed her hand on Alexis's shoulder, gripping it softly. Both women stepped into the main hangar, the Corvus already powered up with Lucius nodding to them from the landing ramp.

****

They had just exited hyperspace, the vast jungle of Kashyyyk spreading out before them. They were still cloaked, not wanting to risk being shot down before landing. Briar was piloting the ship, slowly moving it forward to locate an opening large enough for their ship to fit into.

She had just pulled onto the steering joystick gently, slowing them to a stop when her brain caught up with her full force.

"Do not go on that mission."

She could even hear the Second Sister's accent seeping through her mask, her slender body still standing right in the middle of her living area. Thoughts of Iden immediately leapt to the back of her mind, her mind now stuck on the Inquisitor with all the secrets. What did she know? Why was she warning Briar? Is she... ya know... fruity?

Briar's hand left the joystick, opening up the pouch she had added to her waistband next to the smoke cannisters. She peered inside, the wooden comb still sitting safely inside.

"Inferno One, everything okay?" Alexis asked her over their comms, turning to peer at the side of her commander's helmet. Briar was frozen, running a gloved hand over the smooth wood of the comb. It has to be a warning.

She couldn't stall anymore, they had to complete the mission. That was her job after all.

She lifted her eyes, closing the pouch before placing her hand on the joystick. Briar had had a full intention of landing and carrying out their mission. She could see the large Rebel stronghold in the distance, the occupants having no idea what was about to happen. But, the commander apparently had no idea what was about to happen either.

Commander Adair would only watch in shock as a TIE fighter suddenly materialized into the atmosphere, careening towards the stronghold. There were sounds of heavy blasts, rockets leaving the Imperial fighter jet. The stronghold exploded, completely leveling the building.