Chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen

Sunlight filled the large room, whiteness washing over Briar's eyelids as she laid on her stomach facing the window. The whiteness grew too bright, Briar slowly opening her eyes, allowing them time to adjust to her surroundings. She could hear movement in the apartment, lifting onto her elbows as she took notice in the cup of water on her nightstand. She took long slow drinks, her organs screaming in delight as they finally had some form of hydration.

"Good morning, how did you sleep?" Trilla entered their room with a datapad, wearing an ivory half button shirt and brown trousers.

"I slept well considering you held you last night." Trilla's face remained stoic as she handed Briar the datapad. Once it was taken, Trilla crossed the room, busying herself with items in her trunk.

"You had alcohol last night, that's an easy mistake to make." The Inquisitor stated, Briar chuckling at the complete lie.

"Please check the updates from the other planets."

"You could have done it, you had the datapad." Briar stated, opening up messages from their allies on the other planets.

"That wouldn't be proper, you're chief of war. I'm not going to overstep and overtake this mission. I respect you, Briar." Trilla began making her side of the bed, scooting Briar out as she pulled up the comforter. She watched Trilla work, her heart filling with love for the woman bent over, shoving her hand underneath the pillows to tuck the cover under them.

Briar knew Trilla could feel her emotions, the Inquisitor pausing, looking over shoulder. The datapad was at her side, their eyes connecting before Trilla pulled her gaze away.

"Briar, please." Trilla's hair fell into her face, running her fingers through it as Briar forced herself to move. She cleared her throat, lifting the datapad as she scanned over the messages.

"Everyone has established their covers. No more pertinent information at this time. Alexis also says hi." Trilla chuckled, shaking her head.

"How long have you been friends with her? You two are very connected." Trilla leaned against the wall by the dresser, watching as Briar dressed herself. She slipped a green button up with a mandarin collar over her shoulders, her fingers working the buttons through the holes. She fastened all of the buttons, even the one at the base of her neck.

"I met her at 19. We've been friends for 8 years." Trilla continued to watch her from across the room as she pulled up the black trousers and fastened them. Briar turned, walking into the bathroom to run a comb over her hair. She patted down her men's side part ledge, assessing her appearance. Trilla stood behind her, their eyes connecting through the mirror.

Briar put the comb under the faucet, running water over the teeth to get the pomade out. She felt Trilla's eyes on her the whole time, her critical eye picking out any flaws. Or at least that's what Briar assumed she was doing.

"The short hair suits you. You look..." Trilla was lost in thought, her voice trailing as she lazily swept her eyes over Briar's face in the reflection of the mirror. Invisible hands forced Briar to turn around, her hips pushed back towards the counter next to the sink. Trilla moved forward quickly, slapping her hands onto the counter on either side of Briar. Her wedding ring made a soft clink as it connected with the hard surface. Briar was pinned, breathless as she tried to figure out what the Inquisitor was thinking.

There was a look of immense indecision on the Inquisitor's face. Her eyebrows were furrowed as she looked down at Briar's parted lips.

"Trilla, please." Briar wasn't one to beg, but she was tired of the yearning. She wanted the woman in front of her with all her being. Her heart was hammering at an irregular rhythm, wanting Trilla to close the space between them. Briar was shaking gently in excitement as she observed the dark haired woman in front of her. She's nervous too.