Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen

"Both of you, up! I house you, you eat with me!" A woman with a dark substance smeared on her cheeks poked and prodded at Briar as she slept. Her eyes cracked open just as the woman was about to poke and prod at Trilla's sleeping form next to her.

Briar's hand shot out from under the sheets, gripping the woman's wrist tightly as her frightened eyes shot over to the pissed off woman. "If you touch her, I will spill your organs onto this dirt floor. I will eat with you, do not wake her." Briar whispered harshly, the shocked woman nodding before leaving them.

She swung her legs out of the bed, grabbing pants and a shirt, pulling both on with care. Briar then sat on the bed again, looking over their sad living conditions. They had found the woman after walking for an hour, the woman adamant that they could stay with her if they did not tell the police she was running a brothel. So, they stayed in a room with a dirt floor and boards over the windows, sunlight shining in through the cracks.

The chief of war rose, leaving her room after she had cleaned her feet and put her boots back on. She hated the way the dirt felt on her feet, but as she walked to the kitchen, she passed quite a few patrons without shoes on. Leaning on the doorframe, she found the owner sitting at a table, a cup of caf in front of her, reading over the newspaper on a datapad.

"Ah, there you are! You and your wife sleep in late! Come, it's still hot!" Mushed oats in a wooden bowl were pushed towards her as soon as she sat down. A spoon splattered in as Briar was still looking down at her breakfast with silent disgust. Three other women were in the kitchen, all of them human. They were minding their business, cleaning the dishes quietly.

"Why are you being so hospitable to us? What's in it for you?" Briar asked the woman, the woman running her hand through her red hair. Briar played with the long tablecloth that completely covered the table and went down to the floor. The fabric was bunched around her lap, her legs crossed. The hostess grabbed a napkin, wiping the dark substance from her cheeks, smiling at Briar softly.

"My name is Thena. I came here thirteen years ago with my husband. We only came for a month-long trip. We loved it. My husband started getting interested in the... not legal... activities going on here and gambled all our money on it. He put it all on the line, but we'd always win it back. Then, he lost it. He went out for a loan, but the loan shark didn't believe he had the means to pay him back and killed him. I was left here without anything.

So, I ventured into this area alone and scared. I was taken in by a group of women. They helped me see my potential as a business woman. I also realized I could help by protecting women the same way I had been." Thena spoke with her hands, leaning closer to accentuate some words. Briar liked her, she was genuine.

"Plus, money is money!" Thena cackled, hitting the table as Briar chuckled. She lifted her spoon, the mushed oats filling her cheeks. There was an overwhelming taste of floral nectar, the sweetness alone almost causing Briar to spit the food back into the bowl.

"Darling, chewing would help." Trilla entered the kitchen area, two of the women at the counter eyeing the Inquisitor. Trilla dragged her hand over Briar's shoulder blades, Briar's eyes refusing to leave the women brazenly checking Trilla out. She felt a weight in the pit of her stomach, it could have been jealousy or the oats. I guess we'll never know.

Trilla pinched Briar's chin as she hovered behind her, pulling her head back completely. Soft lips pressed into hers as her neck strained from the difficult position. A warmth ignited in between her legs as Trilla rested her hand on Briar's throat, the Inquisitor's thumb sliding down the entire length of it. Trilla pulled away with a smirk, walking over to the counter to fill a mug with caf.