Chapter 21

Chapter Twenty-One

The engine died as they landed on Nur, Trilla shooting out of the chair immediately. They had landed just as their allies had pulled in, the hangar filled with people and ships. Stormtroopers assisted with guided the allies into the fortress. Some hadn't even set foot on the planet.

Briar reached out, grabbing Trilla's hand before she could hit the button to lower the ramp. "Hey, slow down." The chief of war reasoned, sweeping the hair out of the Inquisitor's face. Briar already knew the woman she was looking at was not the same woman she had spent her nights with on Cantonica.

"It's not going to be the same, Briar." Trilla acknowledged. Briar nodded gently, taking Trilla into her arms.

"I know, dear." She responded. She felt Trilla relax for only a moment. Then, the ramp button was hit as Trilla pulled the hood over her head, the cloth mask covering her facial features. The Inquisitor turned, barreling down the ramp, greeted by two Purge Troopers. They marched behind the Second Sister, blasters lowered as they neared the lift.

Briar carried herself towards the lift slowly, wanting to hold onto the bliss she had felt with Trilla. How delicate it had been.

"Inferno One?!" Someone yelled behind her. Her boots pivoted towards the sound, a grinning Lucius nearing her with Alexis right behind him.

"Lucius, it takes one undercover for you to miss me?" Briar teased, the taller man rolling his eyes. Alexis pushed past the man's stocky build, grabbing Briar's face.

"I missed you, woman!" She yelled, giving Briar a full, hard kiss. As Alexis pulled away, she noticed her black eye. Alexis ran her thumb underneath the injury, clicking her tongue.

"Always a fighter." Alexis admonished.

Briar pushed her hands away with a chuckle. She turned towards Lucius' towering form, her arms outstretched. As they embraced each other, Briar couldn't help but smile.

"This is the first time we've hugged, Mertle." Briar stated as he released her.

"Yes, well, there's a first time for everything." He remarked.

"Where did Tr- The Second Sister go?" Alexis asked, guiding both team members to the lift.

"I'm sure she has business to attend to." Briar remarked, the lift closing with the Inferno Squad plus four other people. Had they announced her promotion to everyone? Was it something they needed to know?

Briar followed as Alexis and Lucius entered Alexis's living quarters, all of them relaxing for the first time in several days.

"What a shit-show." Lucius stated, both women agreeing.

"Before we all talk about our missions, I'd like to take a shower. I'm covered in a layer of dirt." Briar announced, looking at Alexis for approval. Her best friend nodded, grabbing her a towel.

"Just try not to hurt your other eye, righty." The woman teased. Briar laughed, stepped into the small bathroom.

She had to physically pull the clothes from her body, the dirt caked clothes refusing to leave her body. It had been hot, what new clothes she had been wearing had been doused in sweat and debris. She looked at her bruised body in the full-length mirror, her brain trying to imagine the Inquisitor's hands on her skin.

The shower came to life, washing it all away. It washed away the kisses and the 'I love you's'. In 15 minutes Briar was cleansed of it all, stepping out a new woman. She dressed herself in dark clothing, stepping out as steam billowed from the room.

"Hey, there's some Purge Troopers asking for you. They refuse to leave until they've spoken with you." Alexis was in the kitchen heating water for tea. Briar crossed the room, Lucius watching her from his spot on the bed.